3 Round Pin Socket

Billing for 7 Sep – 6 Oct 2021
1 day until end of billing period

Electricity

Energy use charge nnn kWh at 17.13p

Gas

Energy use charge nnn kWh at 3.06p

plus VAT 5%
We're 14.xx & 4.xx without looking out papers. Last time I looked & compared with an older bill we'd less cu ft of gas but more KW's, I was surprised at the drop in calorific value.

Sponsored Links
....The calorific value of natural gas aint what is was.
Last time I looked & compared with an older bill we'd less cu ft of gas but more KW's, I was surprised at the drop in calorific value.
There seems to be little scope for much variation in the calorific value (heat of combustion).

Apart from anything else, it consists very largely of methane (which obviously has a fixed calorific value) with just small amounts of ethane, butane, pentane and propane, none of which have calorific values more than a few percent less than that of methane.

However, the UK the Statutory requirement, as defined in the Gas Safety (Management) Regulations 1996 (GS(M)R) is [if that legislation is still current!] apparently ...

Wobbe Index (real gross dry) The Wobbe Number shall be in the range 47.20 to 51.41MJ/m3
Incomplete Combustion Factor (ICF) Not more than 0.48
Soot Index (SI) Not more than 0.60
Gross Calorific Value (real gross dry) The Gross Calorific Value (real gross dry) shall be in the range 36.9 to 42.3MJ/m3 , in compliance with the Wobbe Number, ICF and SI limits described above

... so, unless that legislation has been repealed or revised, not much (legal) scope for appreciable variation in calorific value.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed.

What do you think will replace it? LED lanterns still need power alibiet not as much.

5A trailing sockets seem to have become difficult or maybe impossible to find new. Last I looked I could find them used on eBay, but I can't even find any listed there now.

13A sockets mandate fused plugs (which are awkward if you have chains of leads and/or plugs in difficult to access locations) and are too tempting for the general public to plug into

IEC sockets and powercons are not available in a wall outlet form.

CEEFORMS are an option and do seem to be used quite widely but are a lot bulkier.
powercon wall plate here
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144010558950?epid=883622164&hash=item2187b2bde6:g:aBQAAOSwEphcHQR7

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I used a 15 amp socket with a 20 amp supply for welder, not what should be done, but worked OK, as for calorific valve of gas I remember it changing and the gangs of workers converting all the gas equipment for North sea gas instead of coal gas. And I know at the steel works dad worked in he could burn blast furnace gas, coal gas, oil, or coal to generate power, German reparation bioler.

But to change the calorific valve of gas normally means some other changes, be it jets or pressure.

... as for calorific valve of gas I remember it changing and the gangs of workers converting all the gas equipment for North sea gas instead of coal gas. ... But to change the calorific valve of gas normally means some other changes, be it jets or pressure.
Yes, many of us are probably old enough to remember that pretty massive exercise. However, as you say, that was due to a major change in the type of gas. Natural gas has a pretty consistent composition (always nearly all methane) and its calorific value never changes much - as I've illustrated, and as one might expect, the calorific value is fairly tightly regulated by legislation.

Kind Regards, John

What would be the electricity/gas ratio of that (if you allowed it to happen)?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not certain yet, but their website offers new customers a ratio of 3.6 times as much for E and G, but the overall cost will be triple what I am currently paying - both costings on fixed price contracts. I suspect they are in trouble and need to scrape money in quickly, because if I stay with them they will be much more expensive than the alternative suppliers. When I first switched to them, they were the cheapest deal.

I am really not sure which to gamble on for my upcoming new contract, fixed or a variable tariff.

I'm not certain yet, but their website offers new customers a ratio of 3.6 times as much for E and G, but the overall cost will be triple what I am currently paying ...
That sounds odd, in comparison with your current 6.6 ratio. It seems to imply that, relatively speaking, the cost of gas has risen much more than the cost of electricity, which would rather surprise me.
I am really not sure which to gamble on for my upcoming new contract, fixed or a variable tariff.
I think we all have that problem now/soon (my electricity contract expires next April and my LPG one this December)- it really comes down to our judgement as to whether we or the suppliers have the better crystal ball - and the problem is that both of us have very imperfect ones!

Kind Regards, John

That sounds odd, in comparison with your current 6.6 ratio. It seems to imply that, relatively speaking, the cost of gas has risen much more than the cost of electricity, which would rather surprise me.

I think it derives from the fact that gas wholesale has increased by x5 and that only part of the e-generation cost as increased, the part generated by gas when renewables cannot cope - unless you have an alternative suggestion as to why?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back