3D printing..

It was when I got my bag out to get my phone on the plane, I looked at my keys and saw the penkinife that lives on my keyring !!!

You lucky b*gger. I had my keyring penknife taken off me when we flew up to Aberdeen. The blade must have been all of an inch long. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It was when I got my bag out to get my phone on the plane, I looked at my keys and saw the penkinife that lives on my keyring !!!

You lucky b*gger. I had my keyring penknife taken off me when we flew up to Aberdeen. The blade must have been all of an inch long. :rolleyes:

Mine was almost twice the length of yours... some of us get lucky eh? ;)

Mine was almost twice the length of yours... some of us get lucky eh? ;)

Hey. we're not getting into willy-waving I hope!

So a 3d printer can churn these out. Big deal.
I could make a plastic gun on a lathe in a few hours. Its hardly rocket science.

I expect some of these geeks sitting behind a computer screen wouldn't know what a lathe is.

everyone knows it is a pillar drill placed on its side. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Metal Additive Manufacturing – also referred to as 3D printing.
http://www.3trpd.co.uk/dmls.htm

Used in aerospace for rapid prototyping (foundry pattern making) back in the 90's.
No doubt some production parts are being directly manufactured using Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) today.

Popular misconception that 'tis only about plastic stuff.

Can be better to add material than subtract !

-0-

This is already happening. A TV program a few months back about forces in Iraq. The head honcho was talking about efficiency of supplies and stores. He said one of the big differences was they now only keep half the spares they used to for trucks and stuff because they can 3D print most of what they need on site. He didn't elaborate on what exactly they are printing but he did mention saving tens of thousands in transport costs and storage.

I wonder what spares for trucks he is printing. Plastic axles, plastic brake callipers, plastic gearboxes, plastic suspension and leaf springs, plastic armour plating? :LOL:
That just confirms why you're not in charge.

Sponsored Links
Back