Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
43 is seen to be the tipping age for remain/ leave.

Coincidentally, it is also the number of years we have been part of the EU.

Younger people, especially those in their teens and twenties are upset that older folk who have less time on this earth (many with just 10-20 years to live) will leave them in a situation they did not vote for.

Some younger voters have even suggested that those above a certain age should have been denied a vote for that reason.

Sponsored Links
A very unrealistic argument.

They might have done better to get a few more youngsters to take it seriously.

And the young ones are ignorant of the fact that they can vote at all is down to the sacrifices of the older ones.

If it wasn't for those sacrifices they may well now be speaking german ........ungrateful young pups....There was an example of that on newsnight.

Unless you are in you 90's, gasbag, you have to include yourself among the young pups.

I speak German (among others) in a spirit of friendly co-operation and respect. My German friends (and others) speak English in the same way. None of us have ever been at any risk of having to bomb or shoot each other.

Not all people who have survived war carry the embers of hatred for foreigners for seventy years, especially when the foreigners in question were not even born then.

Thank gods.

Sponsored Links
Johndunce your missing the point had the old ones not fought the nazis England would have been invaded by the Germans.
The young ones would probably then be speaking german and enslaved like other conquered countries and not be in a democracy where they could vote.

The young ones are in debited to the older generations did they but know it.

It's nothing about speaking german now or maintaining a hatred now you silly sod.

And if the Prussians hadn't helped us defeat Napoleon we'd all be speaking French, right? Where is your gratitude to the men of Waterloo?

And if we hadn't fought off the Dutch, we'd all be speaking Dutch. And if the weather hadn't been on our side, we'd all be speaking Spanish. And if Harold hadn't defeated the Vikings we'd all be speaking Norwegian. And if he hadn't defeated the Normans we'd all be speaking French. Oops, my mistake, we are.

The only thing you can be sure of is that we wouldn't be speaking Portugese.

However, since its inception, the European Movement has been successful in its objective of fostering co-operation and peaceful democracy and prosperity, preventing a war between its members. The men who set it up had just survived the worst war the world has ever seem. The older ones had also survived the second-worst war the world had ever seen. Nothing was more important to them than preventing a recurrence.

And we still get a few old nutters pretending to think that the EU of which we are a member invades and occupies member countries by with guns and tanks and forces them to obey its will. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We could have been speaking Italian or even Latin if it hadn't been for that Boudica woman and her dislike of the Roman Empire.

not be in a democracy where they could vote.
Without that Pankhurst woman, half of them would still not be able to vote.

Without the Chartists, neither would most of the other half.

Millions of the men who marched off to fight or die in WW1 did not have the vote.

I wonder why gasbag thinks that these historical notes are relevant to membership of the EU.

We could have been speaking Italian or even Latin if it hadn't been for that Boudica woman and her dislike of the Roman Empire.
Quite true.......Johndumb clearly doesn't see the relevance to the op and my subsequent post.
Which in essence is saying the younger generation are unaware of the older generation's sacrifice which has resulted in the society in which they live.
John dumb because of his bitterness and prejudices somehow links this to the EU debate something he accuses me of but like all hypocrites he's done this himself but accuses me of it .......but I didn't !

I only see his posts occasionally before I sign in because he's on my ignore list which is why I don't reply to him.
He can be a moderator. He can be a poster. For him to be both is a joke. That's why posts are deleted and he sticks his nose in to areas he shouldn't ( the Combustion Chamber ) he got his knuckles wrapped for that ........Go on John dumb explain how going in there wasn't an abuse of position.
Or are you going to delete this post because the truth offends you.

And we still get a few old nutters pretending to think that the EU of which we are a member invades and occupies member countries by with guns and tanks and forces them to obey its will. Nothing could be further from the truth.

But we do have to suffer an invasion, not by tanks and guns, but by reams of paper and dictates as to how we run our country. Hitler told the French how to run their country and enforced that with guns and terror. Brussels doesn't use guns to enforce the UK to comply with EU dictates but it still enforces them on the UK population.

One hidden cost of EU membership is that of good edible food that has to be disposed off due to EU regulations about sell by dates and the minimum quality that the EU demand. Straight cucumbers do not taste any better than the masses of bent ones that we are not allow to buy and are destroyed.

Straight cucumbers

Oh Bernard, I am disappointed at you, republishing false myths. I never realised you were a Borisite.

Tell me the one about the pillow regulations next, or the balloon-blowing one.

JohnD seems to have a short memory

Bent cucumbers and curved bananas were banned by an EU dictate...... I assume the regualtion was removed. But it still meant a lot of food was destroyed, it could not even be sent to starving people as food aid.

By Jon Swaine

12:03PM BST 24 Jul 2008

A majority of EU member states, including Britain and Ireland, have voted to reform rules like EC Commission Regulation No 2257/94, which caused international ridicule by stating that all bananas must be "free of abnormal curvature" and at least 14 cm in length.

Under the present regulations, Class 1 cucumbers must be "practically straight" and be bent by a gradient of no more than 1/10.

Produce that does not meet the minimum standards can not at present be sold as second-class, meaning many edible items are thrown away by farmers.

Imperfectly-shaped fruit and vegetables may now be back on supermarket shelves by 2009.

Sponsored Links
Back