600mm wide soffit boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm looking to replace my soffit boards.

They are 600mm wide! The vented soffit board is expensive at £100 for 5m (need 3 lots). Will probably cut them into 2.5m sections and fit with H bars.
Is there another way of doing them? Some neighbours have the interlocking boards laying the other way but it doesn't look great. Would they be glued together with mastic?
Any other options?

Attachments

• 2020-04-16 18.24.31.jpg
    2020-04-16 18.24.31.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 294
Sponsored Links
I'm doing exactly the same right now.....I did consider plastic but went for 6mm hardwood ply instead, screwed on. I'm painting them Sadolin Rosewood stain but I can't get the stuff at the moment. Purely cosmetic for me.
When I'm done I intend to fit plastic soffit ventilators, 76mm I think they are.
Mine, like yours seem to be, are asbestolux so I didn't disturb them more than need be - at least you can see where the original nails are which is good for fixing.
John :)

Hi,
I'm looking to replace my soffit boards.

They are 600mm wide! The vented soffit board is expensive at £100 for 5m (need 3 lots). Will probably cut them into 2.5m sections and fit with H bars.
Is there another way of doing them? Some neighbours have the interlocking boards laying the other way but it doesn't look great. Would they be glued together with mastic?
Any other options?
Use hollow soffit and J-trim and go in the opposite direction to the fascia. Looks a gazillion times better too. It's quite difficult to try and fix long lengths of floppy sheet without 7 pairs of hands, especially if you are guiding it into a recipient trim.

Sponsored Links
Yes about 600 wide (measured them), monster soffits!

Thanks Noseall - good point about the length of the boards. I would have had them cut to 2.5m each to fit in the car but its still a long bit of wobbly board to fit!

I did wonder if they were asbestos! How will you drill the holes for the vents without disturbing them? Most of mine are not nailed - just sat there!

Im hoping to have an extension built across the back so looking for a long term solution. Would painted wood last a long time?

I'm doing exactly the same right now.....I did consider plastic but went for 6mm hardwood ply instead, screwed on. I'm painting them Sadolin Rosewood stain but I can't get the stuff at the moment. Purely cosmetic for me.
When I'm done I intend to fit plastic soffit ventilators, 76mm I think they are.
Mine, like yours seem to be, are asbestolux so I didn't disturb them more than need be - at least you can see where the original nails are which is good for fixing.

Also the current boards are just sat on the fascia return and the bricks - they are not fixed at all. Could I just silicone the hollow boards on?

Regarding the vents, I’ve bought the correct size holesaw from B&Q so I’ll drill up through my ply and through the 6mm asbestolux behind......there will be a bit of dust but I’ll wear a mask.
I don’t understand how your soffits are fixed......my own have a bearer on the back of the facia and another fixed to the roof timber. They are fixed with galv clout nails, 1”.
Regarding longevity, the facias take much more hammer than the soffits......like yours, mine are well overhung so don’t get any weather. When I restored this place in 1987 I fitted new facias and the soffits took some damage which is why I’m cladding over now. Treated with Sadolin, the facias have been great and still are but I’ve had to replace the odd length due to the 18mm ply delaminating.
I did consider plastic but I work on my own and they would flop about all over the place......hence me using 4’ lengths of 6mm ply.

Could I just silicone the hollow boards on?
No. They need to slot into a J trim against the wall and are normally wrapped by a fascia toe (when overlaying the fascias with cap). You may be able to J trim both ends of the soffit pieces as the seem long enough to flex into place. You then fix self drilling screws (same screw you fix the J trim with) through the dedicated fixing lip on the hollow soffit.

True, they dont get much weather at all.

the boards are just sat there. One end on the top of the bricks. The other rests on the lip on the facia board. I guess if I slot the hollow plastic underneath it wont go anywhere!

Regarding the vents, I’ve bought the correct size holesaw from B&Q so I’ll drill up through my ply and through the 6mm asbestolux behind......there will be a bit of dust but I’ll wear a mask.
I don’t understand how your soffits are fixed......my own have a bearer on the back of the facia and another fixed to the roof timber. They are fixed with galv clout nails, 1”.
Regarding longevity, the facias take much more hammer than the soffits......like yours, mine are well overhung so don’t get any weather. When I restored this place in 1987 I fitted new facias and the soffits took some damage which is why I’m cladding over now. Treated with Sadolin, the facias have been great and still are but I’ve had to replace the odd length due to the 18mm ply delaminating.
I did consider plastic but I work on my own and they would flop about all over the place......hence me using 4’ lengths of 6mm ply.

Just hung out the window and took some pics. The boards are not fixed house side and rest on the bricks / top of the windows. They are somehow fixed at the facia board. Will investigate further once the weather cheers up and get the scaffold tower back out!

Attachments

• AAEFA592-6185-47B2-9D89-A4E791A28F1E.jpeg
    AAEFA592-6185-47B2-9D89-A4E791A28F1E.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 274
  • EE884BAD-E3BB-432F-A31C-96180A1343B6.jpeg
    EE884BAD-E3BB-432F-A31C-96180A1343B6.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 266
  • BCFD98A1-D0AA-4073-9006-ADFCBCB691D1.jpeg
    BCFD98A1-D0AA-4073-9006-ADFCBCB691D1.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 270
Any thoughts on fitting new soffit boards to this? The current soffit slots into the facia board via a groove and then sits on the top of the bricks!

Attachments

• 108AA395-630C-4931-B009-58D47F18485B.jpeg
    108AA395-630C-4931-B009-58D47F18485B.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 273
  • F16C842E-A54C-4259-878F-A2C766882816.jpeg
    F16C842E-A54C-4259-878F-A2C766882816.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 265
This is how I did it in the end...

Attachments

• 69ED6BD6-DFA5-477E-BDA8-1D043D0BC93D.jpeg
    69ED6BD6-DFA5-477E-BDA8-1D043D0BC93D.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 284

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back