a couple EICR question from a home owner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got someone coming to do an EICR tomorrow. After having a different electrician out last week who pointed out a load of failures, I have some questions about the EICR.

- We have a 4Kw solar installation which is wired into the consumer unit via a 32amp MCB. The previous electrician said that's not allowed and it should be on its own RCD. Is this correct? We have a SolarEdge inverter, which I believe has an integrated RCD.
- We have an old metal consumer unit (1970's property) which is unsightly. It's enclosed in an MDF cupboard to make things look nice. As the box is made from wood, would that be marked on the report, or are we best to simply remove it?

Sponsored Links
Are you getting the EICR for your own peace of mind or are you perhaps contemplating renting?

Not sure about your solar question.

There is no reason why a metal CU cannot be boxed in with MDF. But if you are worried remove it and replace it afterwards.

Are you getting the EICR for your own peace of mind or are you perhaps contemplating renting?

Not sure about your solar question.

There is no reason why a metal CU cannot be boxed in with MDF. But if you are worried remove it and replace it afterwards.
we're part exchanging our home for a new build, and the builders have requested it.

Normal practice is for the buyer to commission and pay for surveys though. Is this a request or part of some contract?

If so don't forget to request an EICR for your new build.

Sponsored Links
Just remembered you other thread when you said "The builders solicitors simply emailed ours asking for an up to date EICR. I don't believe it's part of the contract, so I guess we could refuse."

You could refuse could you not?

Our solicitor has recommended we don't refuse it.
Maybe he's read the contract more carefully than you have?

From the examples that have been posted in the other thread (this 'split-thread situation is not really ideal!!), it seems that part-exchange contracts commonly contain a requirement for a document "to certify it [the electrical installation] is safe and in a full working condition". If your contract contains anything like that, then not only are you contractually obliged to provide an EICR, but are also required to provide what is effectively a 'clean' one - i.e. to provide evidence that all remedial work called for by an initial EICR has been satisfactorily undertaken.

Kind Regards, John

Maybe he's read the contract more carefully than you have?

From the examples that have been posted in the other thread (this 'split-thread situation is not really ideal!!), it seems that part-exchange contracts commonly contain a requirement for a document "to certify it [the electrical installation] is safe and in a full working condition". If your contract contains anything like that, then not only are you contractually obliged to provide an EICR, but are also required to provide what is effectively a 'clean' one - i.e. to provide evidence that all remedial work called for by an initial EICR has been satisfactorily undertaken.

Kind Regards, John
Yes, it would be good if we could keep the topic of this thread based on the questions in my opening post please.

Yes, it would be good if we could keep the topic of this thread based on the questions in my opening post please.
It helps to maintain context,.

I can't answer your question about the PV, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CU (whether metal or plastic) being inside a wooden enclosure - there must be countless millions of examples out there.

Kind Regards, John

It helps to maintain context,.

I can't answer your question about the PV, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CU (whether metal or plastic) being inside a wooden enclosure - there must be countless millions of examples out there.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks for the confirmation.

solar installation which is wired into the consumer unit via a 32amp MCB. The previous electrician said that's not allowed and it should be on its own RCD. Is this correct?
A solar inverter cannot share an RCD with any other circuits, so if an RCD is required, it must be for the inverter only.
It also cannot share an MCB with any other circuits or devices, but that's far less likely than it being on a shared RCD.

Whether it actually needs an RCD depends on how the circuit is installed and what the inverter contains.

... there's absolutely nothing wrong with a CU (whether metal or plastic) being inside a wooden enclosure - there must be countless millions of examples out there.

Kind Regards, John

Not sure you can say 'nothing wrong' exactly. If say a plastic CU is in a wooden enclosure, which is underneath a wooden staircase, and it's the only exit from the bedroom(s) it would at the very least be marked as a C3.

Although of course a C3 should still lead to a 'Satisfactory' report.

Having said that, the op said that they've got a metal CU, so shouldn't think that it becomes an issue, unless of course it's an old MK (or similar) metal CU with a plastic fuse cover, which therefore means it's not entirely metal after all ... it's effectively got a whacking great 'hole' in the front.

Having said that, the op said that they've got a metal CU, so shouldn't think that it becomes an issue, unless of course it's an old MK (or similar) metal CU with a plastic fuse cover, which therefore means it's not entirely metal after all ... it's effectively got a whacking great 'hole' in the front.
Surely that desciribes many CU's

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back