a lidl cordless drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
it is a 9v rechargeable and was working fine until it fell in some water.
It stopped but worked again after I dried it out .
However it only worked sporadically and so I tried drying it out properly over the Aga overnight .
I was surprised when it conked out after a second or so every time I tried it and so I opened it up.
I was surprised that it seems to be binding at the tip (the cylinder rubs against the plastic casing).
If I ease the pressure by removing the casing screws and wedging the 2 (lengthwise) halves apart by ,say, 1 or 2 mills then it runs powerfully.

But what is going on ? (it is fully charged I am sure)

Can I lubricate that area(I have tried WD40 but without noticeable effect)

ps It is a Parkside PAMS96 but I can't seem to find any documentation online

Sponsored Links
thanks
I am pretty sure it couldn't be that as the problem was there before I did that - and anyway that is a really nice gentle heat.
I wonder could it be that the metal cylinder that rotates has got rusty and that has caused it to bind?
I assumed it would be a high quality stainless steel but I have to admit that I did see rust deposits on the plastic casing next to where the *cylinder" spins so maybe a good clean will help -as long as the "clinder* is not permanently pitted.

Sponsored Links
Might be better to invest in a better quality drill B&Q have some good offers at the moment and ive also seen some good deals on Green Bosch cordless drills in the Argos catalogue.

I bought a cheap drill driver from screwfix years ago it lasted me about 3 months, i then bought an 18v Black & Decker firestorm which was much better even though not that good build quality.

If it works when the casing is loosened, then rather than using it with loose casing, take it apart and find where the cylinder is binding and reduce some of the casing with a file or wire wool or something, add a bit of wax or Vaseline, and then reassemble it tight

Thanks for the Argos tipoff.

Are any of those cordless drills comparable in performance to ones that run of the mains?

The one I have is 9V and I see that 18V is common.

Would there be jobs where a mains run drill would be required? (apart from battery life I mean)

And what about those cordless hammer drills ? Would they work in cement that might have stones in it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back