ACS course qualification......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice from some qualified engineers,I have been working with a heating firm as an adult trainee installing heating systems for the past 2 yrs, I would say i'm fairly competent & have the knowledge and a skills now to fit combi's,conventional(Maybe apart from electrics) boilers, full systems etc......now I am being made redundant and there are company's interested in taking me on & putting me thru the ACS course which is the short course over2- 4 weeks I think, would I be doing to much too soon.......would hate to start new job only for me to fail the blooming course,this sounds like i'm lacking confidence but have heard the course can be solid & it costs a few bob,has anyone had similar experience? Whats the hardest part of the course? Whats the main points I should study to pass?

Any advice would be welcome

Sponsored Links
Have got the complete domestic gas manual series,isn't everything in these I need to know? Seeing as I have the 2 yrs practical exp I would rather keep on working (Mortgage an all) & go thru the short ACS course with new employer, just looking for pointers on what I should be studying & how difficult people thought the course is, heard from someone who said if the employer is paying for the course the college does favour the student as its a business after all so the pass rate is quite high,wether thats true....don't know!

My first trainer always said 'confidence is competence'.

If you are pretty good at theory work and can understand what everything means in the ACS course then it shouldn't be too hard for you, but will be intense :cry:

If by the 'short course' you mean just the exams then the answer is a definite NO.

You will definatley need to do the course with the full training completed beforehand. Concentrate on CCN1 first, usually 2 days training and 2 days exams, theory and practical, most theory is open book. Once you have got this under your belt then think about appliances etc.

Take one step at a time and don't rush yourself ;)

Sponsored Links
Don't forget it's almost all "open book". If you can work out a gas pipe size, and the ventilation for say 3 appliances in the same room, nothing's going to worry you.
Only people I've seen fail have had trouble speaking English.
Hardest part is probably finding the answers to obscure questions which are designed to make you look things up. But you have all the regs etc provided.
Go for it!

Thanks gas4you!

No its not that short, think its 2-4days training for ccn1 then exam followed by the appliance assessments/exams.

I'm curious,is their alot of mathamatecal questions?I'm still not up to scratch on gas rating & i'm pis* at maths.....so this has got me worried.

If you are comfortable with basic maths, division, multiplication etc then don't worry. How many of us gas engineers are einsteins :LOL:

Most important thing is don't worry, if you do you are at a disadvantage already and your mind will not be open to learning.

As chrisR says, most of it is to get you to look things up then answer ;)

KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING The candidate must be able correctly to answer gas safety questions in the following topics
CRITERIA: relating to gas safety legislation:
1. The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations – HSC Approved Code of Practice & Guidance
(i) Regulation 2 General interpretation and application 2 (1),(2),(3),(4),(5) c (iii),(6),(7) & (8)
(ii) Regulation 3 Qualification and supervision 3 (1),(2),(3),(5),(6),(7) & (8)
(iii) Regulation 4 Duty on employer
(iv) Regulation 5 Materials and workmanship 5 (1) to (3) inclusive
(v) Regulation 6 General safety precautions 6 (1) to (6) inclusive
(vi) Regulation 7 Protection against damage 7 (1) to (3) inclusive
(vii) Regulation 8 Existing gas fittings 8 (1) to (3) inclusive
(viii) Regulation 25 Interpretation of Part E
(ix) Regulation 26 Gas appliances – safety precautions 26 (1) to (10) inclusive
(x) Regulation 35 Duties of employers and selfemployed
persons
(xi) Regulation 36 Duties of Landlords 36 (1) to (12) inclusive

If you want the rest send me an email address, mines in my profile

Thanks for the help guys, feel alot more confident bout things now ;)

doitall, will send u an e-mail mate....really appreciate your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back