Adding RCBO to existing consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my existing consumer board does not have rcd protection. Current circuit/switches are : lights, cooker, shower etc (5 in total). I had an EICR in 2021 so I don't want to replace the consumer board just yet. I do want to add an inline RDC or rcbo only to one circuit in the consumer board - "light" though, as protection in case there's roof leak. Is that possible? What kind of costs are we looking at? Will it invalidate the my existing EICR, or is it okay to get that done as long as it's done by part B qualified electrician?
I was hoping for some general advice before I reach out to electricians for quote.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-05-15-08-58-39-674_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-05-15-08-58-39-674_com.microsoft.skydrive.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
I do want to add an inline RDC or rcbo only to one circuit in the consumer board - "light" though, as protection in case there's roof leak.
I'm sure others will have differing opinions and sorry if this sounds terse, but adding RCD/RCBO protection to simply protect a lighting circuit, in case of a leak, seems a little odd.
The great benefit of these safety devices, is adding a level of protection from electric shock and aiding the preservation of life.
The lighting circuit may be one of the last circuits I would add this protection to, as the risks are generally far lower, than say, a shower circuit.
Personally, I would wait until I could afford to change the CU / add protection to all the circuits.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure others will have differing opinions and sorry if this sounds terse, but adding RCD/RCBO protection to simply protect a lighting circuit, in case of a leak, seems a little odd.
The great benefit of these safety devices, is adding a level of protection from electric shock and aiding the preservation of life.
The lighting circuit may be one of the last circuits I would add this protection to, as the risks are generally far lower, than say, a shower circuit.
Personally, I would wait until I could afford to change the CU / add protection to all the circuits.
I might not know electrics, but do know where is the risk of water damage is most in my flat. In the end, I live there :). The "lighting" circuit is only for my ceiling lights only and being the top flat, water damage is a risk. My shower and bathroom are already RCD protected.

Has the shower got another protective device not shown in your photo then?

My shower and bathroom are already RCD protected.
You said there was no RCD protection.

You really would be better RCD protecting socket outlets, but you may as well bite the bullet and get that old board swapped for an all-RCBO affair.

My advice for the OP is to save up for a new CU with RCBO's and SPD.

Anything else is likely to be a waste of money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back