Aftermarket car warranties

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a second hand 2017 diesel Passat about a year ago, paid for an all singing all dancing warranty on top. I had to use the warranty for a new headlight, new injectors and a new bonnet cable, all done with no arguments ( Warranties2000). The warranty is up and I've been offered another year at £450, does anyone bother with these warranties? because I've read the VW 1.6 diesel lump eats injectors.

Sponsored Links
It all depends upon how much you think you will be likely to claim on it.
Is the car likely to need replacement parts (that are covered) or not?

Sponsored Links
Never be without a warranty if you have a Freelander!
(Time to dodge the blows)
John
When I bought our Evoque, I bought it from a main dealer and got two years warranty and two years servicing thrown in. Only had an electrical glitch sorted on the warranty but when it ran out, they wanted over a grand for another year plus it had to be serviced by a main dealer. I declined and 'self insured'. I did that for another three years before we sold it. All I spent out of my 'warranty' pot was a passenger rear door lock. I think I got off light!

I don't know how typical it is, but the Evoque is notorious for steering issues and difficult electrical problems.....Freelanders with transmission, differential and Haldex failures.
Not really good enough for such expensive vehicles!
John

I don't know how typical it is, but the Evoque is notorious for steering issues
Yes. It was the aluminium bolts that they used to secure the rack to the subframe corroding and snapping requiring a rack replacement. There was no recall but they did eventually extend the warranty on that item to ten years.

Generally speaking aftermarket warranties are a rip-off.
> Often the term 'caused by general wear & tear' is the excuse for not paying up.
> The need to have the car regularly serviced at absurdly short time frames (ok only if you expect to cover high mileages during the cover period) from a VAT registered outlet, so no DIY or cash-in-hand servicing.
> Limited cover unless taking out the most expensive cover plan.

But like most things in life, you pays your money ...

I think you have to determine what is actually covered......my neighbour has a 13 plate Freelander with 65k and she has had a new diff, gen 4 Haldex, DSG box and steering rack under her warranty. Just as well she took it out as she would be seriously out of pocket.
John

I think you have to determine what is actually covered......my neighbour has a 13 plate Freelander with 65k and she has had a new diff, gen 4 Haldex, DSG box and steering rack under her warranty. Just as well she took it out as she would be seriously out of pocket.
John

If I bought a Land Rover product built after the late 'nineties even I would seriously consider a top-flight warranty, despite my reservations :rolleyes:

My fave LR product is the "Leyland" Disco. With all sorts of Montego bits in the interior.

People say it's unreliable, but I think the latter day stuff is even worse.

There's no excuse for it, especially not these days with CAD etc....

And the manufacturers put pre-production mules on the road before launch and do 100's of 1000's of miles of testing.

They must know the weak points of their cars but ignore them, probably because it would be too costly to redesign.

But for the money they charge, that's bad

Um, you lot need to read the OP.

He got a VW Passat - NOT a LR Freelander.

Bought a second hand 2017 diesel Passat about a year ago, paid for an all singing all dancing warranty on top. I had to use the warranty for a new headlight, new injectors and a new bonnet cable, all done with no arguments ( Warranties2000). The warranty is up and I've been offered another year at £450, does anyone bother with these warranties? because I've read the VW 1.6 diesel lump eats injectors.
had a 1.6l VW Diesel Golf - had one injector fail. Not Cheap to repair £200 for the injector + labour and recovery (cause was not sure if the inject was fuelling the cylinder). Bigger issue was the injector securing bolt (securing 2 injectors) failing shortly afterwards - injectors blew out of the head and covered the engine bay in Diesel.
Do wish VW would design things more reliably and not use the smallest possible sized bolts that they think will work - had 2 VW's over the years - both have had problems to bolts/studs failing due to being undersized.

My fave LR product is the "Leyland" Disco. With all sorts of Montego bits in the interior.

People say it's unreliable, but I think the latter day stuff is even worse.

There's no excuse for it, especially not these days with CAD etc....

And the manufacturers put pre-production mules on the road before launch and do 100's of 1000's of miles of testing.

They must know the weak points of their cars but ignore them, probably because it would be too costly to redesign.

But for the money they charge, that's bad
It's called design by Accountants - know the cost of everything and the value of nothing...

Sponsored Links
Back