Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gone away for a few days.

Holiday cottage has the following:

• Old wooden back Wylex standard.
  • Old Crabtree VOELCB.
  • 2-wire overhead supply.
  • No earth of any sort - not even incidental via main bonding because there is none of that either.

Deep joy.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Gone away for a few days.

Holiday cottage has the following:

• Old wooden back Wylex standard.
  • Old Crabtree VOELCB.
  • 2-wire overhead supply.
  • No earth of any sort - not even incidental via main bonding because there is none of that either.

Deep joy.
I hope you wrote out an eicr for them and left for them together with a bill for alternative accommodation(y)

I expect Ban nearly choked on his drinking chocolate when he read that.
No, I didn't.

But I did note that both deadshort and aptsys think it is a laughing matter, even though they know that anybody who rents this place could be electrocuted.

Last edited:
Similar to what I had when I moved in here, but no voltage trip and there was evidence of an earth bond near water pipe (no sign of it at the c/u though). this was possibly at one stage an earth from the water pipe, but done away with when lead was replaced with plastic.

When looking around the place originally (obvious to me I needed to re-wire), the estate agent had made a point of telling me that there was a current gas safety cert for the (very old looking) boiler because it has been let out previously. I causally ask if there was anything for the electrics. "No", says she "The owners instead signed a decalration that they were happy that the electrics were in a safe condition"

Amoung other things I ripped out, was a connector block tiled into the kitchen wall above the door so that most of it was hidden, but you could see the top of all four terminals and put test probes on them, this was fed in figure 8 bell cable which wondered across from a socket on the adajcent wall backed up by a 30A re-wireable fuse.

One of the lighting circuits had been connected in with a 30A shower fuse.

But he was happy to sign to say that he was happy that it was in a safe condition, and the EA was happy to accept such a document without question (I get the impression that this was their standard practice to avoid suggesting that EICRs be carried out)

This place has been refurbished relatively recently - new kitchen, bathroom, carpets, laminate, sanded floorboards, everything painted.

And SFA done about the electrics. Except possibly new concealed cables and new sockets in the kitchen.

There may have been an earth once - there is a GY cable running from the earth bar in the Wylex to the otherwise empty earth terminal in the ELCB.

But he was happy to sign to say that he was happy that it was in a safe condition, and the EA was happy to accept such a document without question (I get the impression that this was their standard practice to avoid suggesting that EICRs be carried out)
Even if it had gone nowhere I would have put a fair bit of effort into declaring the sale fraudulent and started claims for significant retrospective price reduction.

Anyway - I shall speak to the owner, and see what they plan to do.

Basically they must sort it, or stop renting it out.

Shockingly there are still some sparkies that do not know the difference between a voltage operated trip and an RCD, and will assume this install is fine. Obviously would/should fail a trip test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back