An odd problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone can help.
I have a two year old laptop running Vista, and about a week ago, after I turned it on, I went to the bottom "task bar", or Start bar, only it wouldn't pop up like it normally does.
I can click on a desktop icon for example internet explorer, which duly opens, but again, when I go to click on any of the buttons or menus, including the close button, nothing happens at all.

I have found I can overcome this by pressing control/alt/delete to bring up the options window. I can then press cancel, and then everything works ok.

I'm guessing there's a problem with the windows registry, but is there any way I can test for this? Any other suggestions welcome.

I have the original disc so I can do a repair or reinstall if necessary. But I'd rather not if a simpler option is available.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
More bizarrely - I just had a call on my home phone number from a gentleman with an "eastern" accent, telling me he was from "Flick 123" or something like that, and that they were calling people who had been ignoring windows error warnings, and that he wanted to help me sort this out before it wrecks my computer. He wanted me to type something into the "Run" command box, but before I did, I asked if he was from Microsoft - no. I asked why Microsoft hadn't advised their users about this "service"? and I asked why would they want to help windows users out?

The line went dead.

So - was it a coincidence that he phoned just after I posted this message, or is there more to it?

Three of things to try;
-> Get the Taskbar showing by doing what you said you do:
"I have found I can overcome this by pressing control/alt/delete to bring up the options window. I can then press cancel, and then everything works ok. "

-> Right click on an empty part of the Taskbar and make sure that there is a tick next to 'Lock the Taskbar'. If not, Click there to put a tick.

-> Open the Task Manager by pressing CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys.

-> Scroll down to 'explorer.exe' and click to highlite it.

-> Click 'End process' and click 'End Process' in the confirmation window.

-> That will remove all your desktop shortcut icons and the Task bar but do not worry.

-> In the Task Manager window click 'File' at the top left and click 'New Task (Run).

-> Type 'explorer.exe' in the box and click OK.

That will set explorer.exe running again and will put all your icons back and also the Taskbar.
Reboot and see if the taskbar returns as normal.

Have a look at this:
http://ask-leo.com/my_taskbar_is_missing_and_i_have_no_start_button_what_do_i_do.html

dave

Another alternative is to try a System restore to the day before this started happening.

dave

Sponsored Links
Hi Dave, thanks for the ideas.
Unfortunately all failed to solve the problem.
I wonder whether System Restore ever actually really works. Don't think it ever has for me.

Next thing is to try a Windows repair using the original disc, and if that fails....

Oh yeah - thanks Microsoft, I was looking for something to spend a few evenings on. :evil:

Well I did a full backup of all my stuff in preparation for the inevitable.
But I listened to some ancient harmonics first, and hey presto, problem gone. No repair/reinstall necessary.
:?:

More bizarrely - I just had a call on my home phone number from a gentleman with an "eastern" accent, telling me he was from "Flick 123" or something like that, and that they were calling people who had been ignoring windows error warnings, and that he wanted to help me sort this out before it wrecks my computer. He wanted me to type something into the "Run" command box, but before I did, I asked if he was from Microsoft - no. I asked why Microsoft hadn't advised their users about this "service"? and I asked why would they want to help windows users out?

The line went dead.

So - was it a coincidence that he phoned just after I posted this message, or is there more to it?

Only a few weeks ago I had something similar, mine was a bit different to yours because I was not asked to go to the "run" command

Instead the guy told me "I have a virus on my PC and he wanted to show me were it was" he then wanted me to go to a website www.teamviewer.com which offers a download for remote connection to a PC to take control of someone elses desktop, obviously I didnt let him but after a lot of goole searching I found that these people pretend to remove a virus then ask you for some money, its just a coincidence that you are having this problem and then get this call

Anyhoo regarding your problem

read your first post slowly counting the words as you read, when you get to your 15th word, thats your problem

:LOL:

No seriously I work in IT and its by far thee worst OS in the history of OS's, matter of opinion maybe but its stability is just laughable

So first and foremost get yourself set-up with a nice copy of windows 7, if you need any help send me a PM ;)

Thanks for your thoughts.
Despite the magic of harmonics, the problem is still there.
I only had a couple of problems with this machine, so hopefully a repair or reinstall will see me right for a few more months.

No seriously I work in IT and its by far thee worst OS in the history of OS's, matter of opinion maybe but its stability is just laughable

are you serious? over Me?

which was basically a bastardized version of win98 microsoft threw together to cash in on the millennium.

are you serious? over Me?

which was basically a b*****d version of win98 microsoft threw together to cash in on the millennium.

Yer I did think of ME which is why I put "matter of opinion", there both up their with MS's big mistakes!!

XP is what ME should have been, Win7 is what Vista should have been

But still stand by my comment, Win7 all the way jib Vista done right way its free!!

Well, if anyone's interested, I did a full format and reinstall, and guess what - problem still there.

I think I've worked it out though - think it's my old mouse. Must be 7 or 8 years old.

When I reboot without the mouse plugged in, no problems. Mouse back in, problems start.

Damn, wish I'd tried that before doing a reinstall. So much wasted time!!

Sponsored Links
Back