Antsy attitudes

LOL@Chri5

Have you got a bet on with someone about who can start the longest thread in the forums history?

As a member of this forum for a couple of years with some 2000+ posts, you know well the characteristics of certain posters here.
I think you knew you had a winner with this one :)

I'm a neutral and why would I need to curry stats :eek:

Plain and simple, I'm a sensitive lad that prefers calm waters- the good ship DIYnot / electrics has been full of friction between frequent users.
Quite why it has to be so is beyond me.

I started this post:-

a) to make the issues open
b) to allow any new posters an insight in to certain members ideals
c) to attempt to help resolve, by clearing the air

I think a) and b) are sort of done, shame we haven't yet got c) sorted.

How's about you all just kiss and make up :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
shame we haven't yet got c) sorted.
Well, the invitations are still open for holmslaw to provide a rational and consistent justification for calling me a liar, and dishonest, a reasoned explanation of why finer control over lighting levels is less efficient than coarser, and of why he thought that in response to my question about dimmer switches it was appropriate to criticise me for something I wrote several weeks earlier in another topic on a completely unrelated subject.

The invitation is still open for galliano2001 to provide a logical and rational explanation of why it was OK for him to say that something is very aesthetically pleasing but it was not OK for me to say it is not.

The invitation is still open for chapeau to explain why if I have got something wrong his interest stops at saying "you're wrong" and does not extend to helping the OP by providing the correct information.

The invitation is still open for Johnmelad502 to explain why he thinks it's OK to just laugh when asked a civil and relevant question and then accuse me of being rude, arrogant and offensive.

I suggest though that you don't hold your breath.

Listen.

Apart from baseless accusations of being called a liar etc, I'm not that bothered if people want to make themselves look like pathetic fools by saying things which are obviously illogical, obviously wrong, obviously inconsistent just because they are desperate to have a go at me.

It's easy to show that what they have said is illogical etc, and it's easy to show that they know it is by their refusal to put up any kind of defence for their actions.

But what I will never tolerate is me being blamed for "antsy attitudes", and topics degenerating into off-topic squabbles when it is not I who starts up the off-topic, illogical, wrong, inconsistent behaviour and it is not I who is unprepared to deal with posts purely on the merits of the posts rather than writing things because of previous disputes and it is not I who starts topics which have the sole purpose of personal attacks.

Sponsored Links
LOL@Chri5

Have you got a bet on with someone about who can start the longest thread in the forums history?

As a member of this forum for a couple of years with some 2000+ posts, you know well the characteristics of certain posters here.
I think you knew you had a winner with this one :)

I'm a neutral and why would I need to curry stats :eek:
hhmmmm, currrryyyyyyyy, me so hungry :)
Plain and simple, I'm a sensitive lad that prefers calm waters- the good ship DIYnot / electrics has been full of friction between frequent users.
Quite why it has to be so is beyond me.
I find it amusing that there are certain topics which will always draw out the same predictable responses. When these crop up, it is often (but not always) the same 1% of posters creating 99% of the animosity contained within. Its like perpetual motion and i draw a similar sense of amusement at watching a dog chase its tail. Hmm, a question about installing downlighters, here we go again :confused:
I started this post:-

a) to make the issues open
I think the regular posters here already know the issues.
b) to allow any new posters an insight in to certain members ideals
nice idea, but once this thread fizzles out, it will slip down the pages and in a couple of weeks it'll be back to square 1 and then pity the next poor DIYer who dares to mention such things as 2" torches!!!
c) to attempt to help resolve, by clearing the air
again, nice idea, but surely you are aware of certain relentless and pointless offerings by individuals, which IMO means the air will never clear whilst the status quo remains
I think a) and b) are sort of done, shame we haven't yet got c) sorted.

How's about you all just kiss and make up :rolleyes:
Me personally, i think it is uncommon for me to 'fall out' with people - disagree, yes sure, we're all individuals (repeat in unison :) )
but if there are any nice female sparks out there, i'd be happy to oblige with the kissing bit :p

Why can't someone create a sticky or wiki entry all about the pros and cons of downlighters and when the next guy comes along to ask about them, simply link to that then allow then to make their own informed judgement about asthetics against efficiency. It would prevent a lot of the threads that descend into rudeness from occurring, and save countless pages of repetitive nonsense

They're not baseless and you know it, two other posters agreed that the accusation was correct. You did boast about defrauding an insurance company.
No I did not.

I wrote something which was misinterpreted, I provided a clarification, but you are choosing, with no evidential basis whatsoever, to disbelieve me.

You have absolutely no factual grounds for saying that I defrauded an insurance company.

You're the pathetic fool, who tries to demean anybody with a lack of electrical knowledge,
Please provide proof that I try to demean everybody with a lack of electrical knowledge.

who swears at mods
I may have lost my temper a few times with the mods, but I'm not alone there.

But as for swearing at them, will you please provide proof of that. You can provide proof, I assume? You are making the accusation, so you must believe it to be factual.

and gets himself banned,
Really? When was that, then?

who uses the most disgusting words to describe EVERYBODY in the gd forum.
Please provide proof that I use the most disgusting words to describe EVERYBODY in the General Discussion forum.

I don't need any defence the truth will do.
And so it goes on.

You seem to think that you can accuse me of whatever you like, accuse me of doing things for which there is no evidence (because I haven't done them) and then claim that you don't need to provide any proof that I have done the things you're accusing me of.

That really is unacceptable - if you believe that the things you say are true then you should be able to justify them. You are carrying on as if you either know they are not true, or you don't care if they are not true.

How is it that I am considered to blame for bad attitude on this forum when you are the one doing things like that?

Its all getting a bit much for you, is'nt it?
What's getting too much for me? Your utterly reprehensible behaviour?

Trust me on this, holmslaw - it will never get so much that I will give up protesting about the way you engage in off-topic criticisms because of past dislikes, it will never get so much that I will give up asking you to prove that I have done the things you say I have, and it will never get so much that I will give up asking you to provide logical explanations for statements which appear to be nonsensical.

Do you truly believe that the interests of this forum are best served by you, for example, replying to a question about dimmer switches by criticising me for something I wrote on a different subject in a different topic several weeks earlier, by suggesting that I might be lying about the size of the room in which I want to put the switch, and by making a design criticism which appears to more than one person to be illogical and then refusing to explain why it is valid?

Yes or no?

Banal, your repetative and boring posts on this thread alone prove many of the points put to you. You may think you are far above anyone else, and it's fine for you to think like that, but don't subject everyone else on the forum to it.

So, you think it's OK to defraud insurance companies? I disagree, but it's none of my business how your moral compass points, so I don't go on about it.

You don't like downlighters, some people do, so don't go on about it.

No one cares anymore Banal, your constant whining and bitchiness have taken things to the point that any sensible advice you are capable of offering may well go ignored because people are so used to the tantrum like droning you are filling this thread with.

Banal, your repetative and boring posts on this thread alone prove many of the points put to you.
Why should I not ask people to prove allegations that they make against me? Do you think that people should be allowed to accuse me of what the hell they like and I should let them get away with it?

Look at what holmslaw is doing, for example. He's not saying things like "I don't like your block paving", or "I don't agree with your reading of the regulations on high-integrity cpcs", he is accusing me of being a liar and a criminal because he doesn't think I should have a 4-gang dimmer switch. It's outrageous and intolerable.

Do you think I should not point out the inconsistency of your position when you repeatedly render my name as an insult?

You may think you are far above anyone else, and it's fine for you to think like that, but don't subject everyone else on the forum to it.
I don't think I'm above anyone else, I just think that people should be able to justify any accusations they make and I think they should be able to explain why they believe that off-topic criticism driven by irrelevant previous disputes are beneficial to the forum.

So, you think it's OK to defraud insurance companies?
No, I don't, and I haven't done that.

I disagree, but it's none of my business how your moral compass points, so I don't go on about it.
Do you not think people who do go on about it should be asked to explain why they think the forum benefits from them going on about it?

You don't like downlighters, some people do, so don't go on about it.
I no more "go on about it" than anyone who repeats advice given to previous posters about the same thing is "going on about it". In just the same way that if a new poster asks "can I cable my shower with 1mm flex" he will get the same advice as every previous person asking the same question, every new poster who asks about 2" recessed downlighters will get the same advice from me. I never persist in arguing with them, but I do give, and will continue to give, the same initial advice because I genuinely believe that it is in their own best interests to consider it.

No one cares anymore Banal, your constant whining and **** have taken things to the point that any sensible advice you are capable of offering may well go ignored because people are so used to the tantrum like droning you are filling this thread with.
If they don't care any more then why do they persist in levelling false accusations at me in order to discredit what I say?

Why do they persist in disagreeing with my technical advice even when their disagreement is patently illogical?

Why do they persist in introducing off-topic, irrelevant and ad-hominem criticisms of me and then try to blame me for threads being full of off-topic, irrelevant and personal conflicts?

If people don't care what I write then the simple thing to do, surely, is to just let it go.

If people don't care what I've written in the past then the simple thing to do, surely, is to reply to new posts purely on the basis of the new posts, and not on the basis of what I've written in the past.

I'm sure you'll try and come up with an explanation of why behaviour analogous to repeatedly smacking someone in the face and blaming them for starting the fight every time they smack you back is acceptable, but I don't expect that it will be any more credible than any other attempt that you or others have made.

That depends.

If you went up to someone in a pub and hit them because you didn't like them, do you think it would be their fault if a fight started?

That depends.

If you went up to someone in a pub and hit them because you didn't like them, do you think it would be their fault if a fight started?

I wouldn't, I can control my temper.

Whilst I don't doubt your acedemic or vocational intelligence, I sometimes think you're idea of interpersonal skill is just on a different wavelength to many others.

I don't think your dogged persevereance is always to your benefit but I wouldn't be surprised if you disagree with me.

its ok It works fine, didnt know how quick to click it, trigger happy me :)

can you hear that? ahhhhhhh bliss, maybe ill start posting again after a year of abstinence

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back