Any one used the BRICKY TOOL?

carryoncamping said:
Monsoon said:
I dont think anyone is suggesting you will be become a skilled, expert bricklayer off the back of using the bricky tool.

Obviously, you will need the Bricklaying DVD to reach that level competency :D
http://www.ableskills-dvd.co.uk/bricklaying-dvd.htm[/QUOTE]

Well, I've just bought the DVD you recommended, I hope you were being serious!! ;)

Recommended it!?! I havent even seen it! - Let us know how what you think of it and if we should save our money:cool:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I watched a documentary on the guy who invented it last year, running around Ireland trying to drum up investors and avoiding his creditors.....Of course he went bust in the end, but you still see them in the shops.

legs-akimbo said:
I watched a documentary on the guy who invented it last year, running around Ireland trying to drum up investors and avoiding his creditors.....Of course he went bust in the end, but you still see them in the shops.

The http://www.bricky.com website states:-
"Bricky is the biggest selling single brand hand tool in the world today, over 14 million units are sold to date (April 2006). "

The DVD shows Noel Marshall (the inventor) living in a bog-standard semi not the mansion you'd expect after 14 million units sold. Perhaps the DVD was made at the start of his venture before making it 'rich'?

The truth is out there (somewhere)...!

Tawelfryn, Noseall - is there anyway I could become a professional bricklayer? I'm too old for traditional apprenticeships, that's if they even still exist. 28yr old Englishman, quite fit & strong. Cheers. :)

Have a look at http://www.ebay.co.uk Item number 4470645024 for an alternative to the Bricky tool.

I own neither tools so can't vouch for there usefulness as an aid to laying bricks or one for gathering dust. ;)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Prodigy said:
Tawelfryn, Noseall - is there anyway I could become a professional bricklayer? I'm too old for traditional apprenticeships, that's if they even still exist. 28yr old Englishman, quite fit & strong. Cheers. :)

Hi Prodigy. 28 is not too old to start a trade, I know a few labourers that have picked up the trowel after years of labouring. Gone to college on a course or something similar. Then they go on as bricklayers on site, like before mentioned in this thread, its the quality that counts, there are most who blag it, and give brickys a bad name, ( I completed an indentured apprenticeship, batjic and then went on to get my Advanced Craft City And Guilds in bricklaying, but I have never been asked for proof of qualifications in my life!) . But only through practise and experience can you then hold a contract down. Like I said before, if you go on to a site, its ok to give the talk and walk the walk, but by 10AM when all your given is a slab and a set of plans, the foreman or site manager will know your "green" and then its up the road. My best advice would be, go to college, at least to learn the fundamentals, like a years course evenings etc. If you can get in with a gang on site for site experience, all the better, labour/snag for them. Then if you stick with them and you get better on the trowel, they will up your wages, and like I said through years of experience, it will then come.

Thanks very much Tawelfryn, much appreciated, and sorry it's taken me this long to return. Shortly after my last post, I got talking to a friend about his work and following some more research on it, I booked myself onto a tower crane course. I'm confident it will go well for me, but if not then I'll be thinking seriously about giving bricklaying a go. Thanks again. :)

If anyone thinks that the bricky tool works then they must have had their brain removed.You don't have perfect bricks so a 10mm joint doesn't work,you are after a gauge of 75mm per course.Most stock bricks can differ in size by up to 8mm in depth and 15mm in length.If you've ever layed a brick properly in your life then you would know this!

Replying to an 18 month old thread doesn't really help; quiet rudely too IMO! :rolleyes:

Replying to an 18 month old thread doesn't really help; quiet rudely too IMO! :rolleyes:

I agree, I received my answer 18 months ago :rolleyes: But welcome to the forum anyway, Rod69 :LOL:

In my opinion not a rude but a very helpful reply, as it will save people wasting there time and money trying to locate and buy one.
If they were that good, then they would be used on building sites all over the country,but after 23 years working on site i've never seen one for the simple reason, that they presume all bricks are precisely 102.5mm x 215mm x 65mm which any bricklayer will tell bricks are not uniform at all.

They are not designed for building sites - thats why you don't see them there.

They are designed for the DIY'er who wants to build a wall without needing to do a 7 year apprenticeship.

In this context they do work - not as good as claimed or for all the tasks claimed, but upto a certain level they will help the DIYer achieve a result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back