Anyone here work for British Gas?

Dont kid yourself if they want Centrica they will get it.

They won't and can't. If they were to buy an energy supplier they would effectively start selling gas to themselves and their competitors. It would contravene a whole bunch of legislation, hence why it was blocked the first time they mentioned it.

Sponsored Links
OH if your lass says so i better go with her then and ignore all those financial experts who say it will happen ;)

what you mean the experts who said IT CANT HAPPEN??
its called the mergers and monopolies commission....
Gazprom themselves cannot buy a supplier AND transport gas. Why the flying F'ing hell to you think BG was split in the first place and Transco created?? to stop the very thing happening you say is apparently going to happen... its called competition....

OH if your lass says so i better go with her then and ignore all those financial experts who say it will happen

P.s, if you were a half decent engineer you'd be registered with the engineering council of the uk and an institution, therefore receiving monthly magazines covering the worldwide gas industry, topics such as Gazprom, oh and maybe attend the odd seminar and industry events about the future of the gas distribution/transmission/supply/repair sectors. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
OK so why where they being allowed to buy it just over a year ago , it was there choice to walk away they where not forced to.
Are you on about the BG (transco) split with centrica or as part of lattice split from BG.

oh sorry you are a brilliant engineer because you are part of a little club , i hold my hand up and bow to you ,

little club??? peasant.

Did the sun or news of the world tell you that fallousy about them walking away? no, wait, it was the competitions commission that blocked the move.

berk :rolleyes:

and yes, BG split to Centrica/Lattice to open the way for industry competition, started with a trial for non domestic customers and was rolled out with the backing of OFGAS (as they were at the time), the DTi, and mergers and monopolies commission.

I suggest you do a little reading that was 2 completly different splits and was not forced on BG they chose to go into the less regulated and highly profitable exploration market without a lot of the hassle involved in the domestic market.
And at the same time setting Centrica up as a basically bankrupt company with 20 billion pounds of future debt to the oil companies fek all to do with ofgas it was a business decision.

Gazprom already own a couple of british companies and are doing exactly what you say they cant , can you explain why that is

In 1992, the market is opened up for industrial and commercial customers using between 2,500 and 25,000 therms of gas per annum. A range of alternative suppliers enter the market.

In the same year, British Gas undergoes a wide-ranging Monopolies and Mergers Commission (MMC) inquiry to balance the needs of customers, shareholders, suppliers and employees. When the MMC publishes its report in 1993, the Government decides instead to open domestic gas market to competition by 1996.

In parallel with this proposal, British Gas carries out a major restructuring to prepare the UK business for the onset of competition. Five business units are formed, each with a specific national responsibility:

Public Gas Supply, the domestic market (now British Gas Trading).
Contract Trading (later named Business Gas, for supplies over 2,500 therms a year)
Transportation and Storage (later named Transco) responsible for transporting and storage of gas
Service and Installation (later named Services)
Retail (later named Energy Centres)

The Exploration and Production and Global Gas divisions continued to operate in international markets.

April 1996 sees gas competition opened up in Devon, Cornwall and part of Somerset. By the end of May 1998 the entire market is open to competition.

On 17 February 1997, following shareholder approval, British Gas plc is demerged into two separate companies:

Centrica plc
British Gas Energy Supply, Services, Energy Centres, Accord Energy and HRL (Morecambe gas field), The gas production business of the North and South Morecambe gas fields were transferred to Centrica plc.

BG plc
Transco (Transportation and storage business), International, Exploration and Production (excluding North and South Morecambe gas fields), Research & Technology and Properties.

In December 1999, BG plc completes a financial restructuring which resulted in the creation of a new parent company BG Group plc.

I draw your attention to this part
[/quote]When the MMC publishes its report in 1993, the Government decides instead to open domestic gas market to competition by 1996.
Doesnt sound like BG made the choice to me....... :rolleyes:

Gazprom already own a couple of british companies and are doing exactly what you say they cant , can you explain why that is

They haven't won't and can't buy an energy supplier. Although I didn't have to join a club to know this :D

Yes they did make the choice they where not forced to split SIMPLE they choose to walk away. Less hassle large profits vastly reduced workforce. Very little government intervention.
Could that be why all the top kiddies stayed with BG i wonder .
Give me a link to a site that says Gazprom are banned from buying Centrica.

Also can you tell me why a fantastic dogs ****** engineer would choose to join Centrica , could you not make it in the real world even with your little club letters after your name pr@ck

mICKEY G do we search and you will find they alread y own a couple of small UK companies , same question show me a link to a site that says they are banned from buying centrica

touched a nerve have I? tut tut...

where you reading a differnet thing to everyone else on here?

the Government decides instead to open domestic gas market to competition by 1996.

please tell this prick where in that ONE statement, BG's choice is made clear? Have you a mild case of dyslexia? GOVERNMENT, not BG

I'm sorry are Centrica a small company? I didnt realise they werent good enough for you to allow me to work for. I do apologise... not that is any of your business but due to family I could no longer continue to work offshore for Centrica and instead opted to move to a different area. Would you like my CV? or will your dyslexia trouble you again?

A takeover of Centrica, which owns British Gas, or Scottish Power,
another rumoured potential target, could have competition implications.

Such concerns explain the unusually strong nature of the DTI's formal response to the putative Gazprom bid. Officials at the time warned a takeover would be subject to "robust scrutiny" and said security of supply to U.K. consumers was "paramount".

This tough talk does may mean the government would change
the law to allow itself to block such a bid

Ministers' concern focused instead on the implications of a Gazprom
takeover for security of supply. The gas company's decision earlier this
year to temporarily cut off supplies to Ukraine was seen by some as
politically motivated. The prospect - however seemingly remote - of Russia
using ownership of a U.K. gas supplier to try to exert political influence
rang alarm bells in Whitehall

Oh, dont you love the FT
:D

mICKEY G do we search and you will find they alread y own a couple of small UK companies , same question show me a link to a site that says they are banned from buying centrica

yes but they didn't buy them, they set them up. Its not the same. You can't block someone from setting up a company, but you can block them from a major buyout or merger if its seen as creating unfair competition or a monopoly.

show me a link to a site that says they are banned from buying centrica

there is no link because they haven't tried yet. IF they ever tried then their attempts would be blocked , but the powers that be can't publicly say, "don't bother cos we'll stop you."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back