Apprentices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
its time for a new apprentice :idea:

but finding one which is slightly better than useless is always difficult!

Has anyone got any suggestions where to look? as most I get a CV from are usually the dross from schools.....

why does the education system fail so many kids who would be good in a hands on job if they could read and write too. :confused:

not that i can spell or use punctuation correctly :D

Sponsored Links
Find an 18 year old who has done his A-levels & decided that academia isn't for him. ;)

Hopefully he'll have a driving licence as well!

Contact your local college or training providers, there is a chance that there is someone doing the course work, that already has an interest in the trade but are either out of work or not in the trade.
I am sure if you contact the head of the department, he/she will not object to giving a nod in the right direction or even telling the class/classes of potential employment.

Sponsored Links
Contact your local college or training providers, there is a chance that there is someone doing the course work, that already has an interest in the trade but are either out of work or not in the trade.
I am sure if you contact the head of the department, he/she will not object to giving a nod in the right direction or even telling the class/classes of potential employment.

You'll have to be careful with this though. When I was looking for an apprenticeship the JTL told me that because I'd already done the 2330 level 2 then the finance wasn't available as it would be for somebody who hadn't done the qualification.

They did, however, carry on sending my details to employers. In the end I was offered an apprenticeship after I'd finished the 2330 level 3! By that time I was sick of the uncertainty of getting work as & when it came up so had already accepted a place at Uni. :mad:

Summary: Find out exactly what funding is available and at what stages.

I used to go into the college and talk to the lecturers and see who the top three lads (or lasses) were and take them for a small trial for a few days.

why does the education system fail so many kids who would be good in a hands on job if they could read and write too. :confused:
It has its roots in the long standing (I'm talking of centuries) class divisions which caused the top layers to look down on anybody who worked for a living (no matter what they did, or how much money they made doing it), and which filtered down so that the stockbroker looked down on the factory owner who looked down on his workers. Despite the fact that with no workers there'd be no factories and with no factories there's be no stockbrokers.

It has its roots in the appalling snobbery which disdains actually making things, and manifests itself in the way bankers "reward" themselves, and the way that someone who reads books for a living and digs a garden for pleasure can sign passport applications but someone who digs gardens for a living and reads books for pleasure cannot.

It is exacerbated by the folly of thinking that anybody should be able to go to university just because they want to and that that is the only aspiration people should have.

And it's exacerbated by people on this forum who criticise any suggestion that those who post here should try to use proper English.

In Scotland many local colleges run pre-apprenticeship courses where young uns are given 2 days theory, one day practical and this leaves 2 days to work with an employer if they wish

Don't know if they run that stuff down south but it's worth a try

I have an excellent apprentice at present and he will be starting college in August.
I would suggest taking them on as a 'trainee' until they prove themselves as this lets you know if they have manners and will turn up on time / willing to learn

a lot of the colleges are running 'mature' classes as well, so you may well pick up someone with 'worklife' experience who can breath independantly.

Many just want a couple of days here and there or are very flexible, could prove useful in current climate.

Schools failed many because of the policy of studying little bits all over the subject areas and the focus on 'having' to go to uni!!

So the bright practical students (future sparks) were dragged away from even considering the trade, what you left with? Pondlife in general

Not electrical I know but a precision engineering company found two good apprentices by approaching a model engineering club and giving a talk on precision metal working. Three club members showed interest and two were taken on.

I cannot think of any type of club that would attract people with an interest in electrical work. Maybe arrange to give talks at schools and youth clubs explaining how much work and skill is hidden behind the socket that powers the games consule. Wake up an interest by adding some glamour to the job and you may get some applicants. You may also discover why youth are reluctant to do electrical work and then you will be able to adjust your recruitment methods and targets accordingly.

I'm thinking about my options

What would an apprentice earn. I'm 26 so maybe a little old but just coming to the end of my first full house renovation and about to be made redundant from an IT analyst role. Completely gutted the house and started again. I've done all the first fix for it, being overseen by a Part P spark. Devon is a little bit to much of a commute but what makes a good apprentice for a spark?

thanks

James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back