Are 25mm grid modules a standard size - Will TLC's grid modules fit Screwfix's faceplates?

But on that one, I know what RJ45 actually means, I imagine you do - but that's a battle lost and the terminology "in use" isn't going to change. Just chill out and let it sail by :cool:

Sponsored Links
I agree with all of that.

I also agree that none of those concepts stops Winston from banging on about other terminologies, so it's curious that he's never complained about this one.

Sponsored Links
Blimey Ban....you must be the first person in the world wanting someone to complain...

whats it mean then please.
Basically, in ancient history for many people here, there were various ways of wiring a "phone" socket for different functions. One phone line on one pair, two phones lines on two pairs, 3 lines, 4 lines, fax machine with ability to disconnect the phones while it's using the line, etc, etc.
Rather than have service technicians making up their own wiring schemes, someone had the bright idea of doing an instruction book on how to wire the different options - so that the job description could specify RJnn and that gives all the information the tech needs to wire it correctly.
As it happens, the RJ45 wiring scheme uses an 8pin modular connector - the one we use in networking and refer to as an "RJ45" plug. RJ45 actually refers to a single data line with programming resistor.
Wikipedia article
And a rant on the very subject !

It appears that there are several different types of RJ in existence (RJ meaning Registered Jack) for interface in the telecommunications network.

RJ45 commonly refers to any 8 position, 8 conductor connector for use in computer networking.

Strictly speaking, RJ45 refers to both the female connectors and wiring (although RJ45 is used to refer to connectors regardless of gender).

That's why I said "commonly refers to" as opposed to "is".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back