Are all double sockets the same size?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It might seem a strange question but having spent weeks/months/ a lifetime repairing and painting my new lounge (it came with the new bungalow) I've just finally put the double sockets and light switch back and oh my, what a state! I hadn't paid enough attention to finishing off the plaster around the back boxes and thus I am faced with small but numerous ridges and hollows made to look even worse by the sharp straight lines of the white plastic sockets.

So, given that the sockets I've used so far are contactum, is there a make that is likely to be slightly larger? A couple of mm all round would do it. Otherwise it's off with the sockets, carefully fill in..... sand it off.... fill it in again... sand it off...... then it's undercoat, three top coats (got a fussy girlfriend) I'll be doing it forever!

Any ideas apart from stop being lazy?

Thanks,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say, No.
In my experience they are all the same size.

Perhaps you could buy your girlfriend a pair of dark glasses. :eek:

Qedelec, She can detect a dent or crack in the wall from 10 feet .... not see it, just know it's there! Clearly women spend a few months with a yoda clone to hone that extrasensory ability to spot that which is invisible to man (well apart from the troughs and ridges around my sockets - spottable from space I dare say).

Sadly, I did have a root through a few websites just now and can confirm that:

The dimensions of a MK logic double switched socket are 86 high x 146 wide whilst a contactum equivalent comes in at a slimmer 85 high x 145 wide. So there's nothing in it apart from a nat's nadger:)

Better get the filler out then. Bugger.

Jon.

Personally I hate filler, its never as hard as the plaster it fills.
I carry some old finishing plaster which is handy for filling and sets bl**dy fast. You can get the same effect by mixing with hot water.
10 mins and you can scrape of the excess with a staight edge, polishes up nice too.

As for 'She who must be obeyed' I suggest a bottle of red and a box of chocs will counteract the extrasensory ability

Sponsored Links
Lots of the chrome or brass accesories are over size. Usually the cheaper pressed steel ones rather than cast

Thanks for that, it got me thinking and more importantly, googling and found these:
http://www.lightingsite.co.uk/index.php?homepage=displaycategory.php?categoryID=5

I'd actually prefer St St plates but had not seen them in the TLC catalogue. They look to be flat plates rather than have a depth to them but...... they (and I quote) "Comes complete with Tunnel Type wiring for easy installation and Foam gasket that allows mounting on Uneven walls. "

I've no idea what tunnel type wiring is but the foam gasket for mounting on uneven walls sounds just the job. Plus the style of these sockets would suit my living room.

Has anyone any experience of these and/or using www.lightingsite.co.uk before?

Thanks,
Jon.

Yes there are some chrome sockets that are oversize. Might be GET but not sure.
Another alternative might be wooden patresses behind. Dark wood goes well with brass but probably not plastic.
Sod it. replaster

I had just this problem last year. Paid a bit more for "designer" accessories (mine were brushed steel effect from Wickes) which were a few mil oversize.

SparkyTris said:
I had just this problem last year. Paid a bit more for "designer" accessories (mine were brushed steel effect from Wickes) which were a few mil oversize.

That's exactly what I did in the end. Even had a CEL bloke say that (you need to adopt self righteous trade counter worker pose for this) "there's no demand for 'em" (oversized sockets that is).

So feeling all downhearted at the thought of plaster rework, I went to my local wickes and blow me, there they were, not just a bit oversized but 'massively' so (5mm - which was perfect). I bought a packet of three (now there's an expression you never hear these days) stainless steel double sockets which was about £23 I think. Very pricey but they match the stainless steel electric fire and look very good too.

In fact, I was so chuffed, I spent the time I should have been spending on the tarting up of the edges on my sockets, drinking beer instead. A far more enjoyable use of ones leisure time.

Jon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back