Are Down-lights Acceptable In This Ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Deciding what lights I want in an outbuilding where the ceiling will be stuffed with rockwool. Would it be a fire hazard to have downlights surrounded by rockwool? Even LED ones? I'm trying to get this room sound proof so priority is in the rockwool rather than the lights. Cheers.

bc6hT2G.jpg

Sponsored Links
Then you'll lose some of the heat and sound insulation properties because of the holes.
Better to creat a "warm roof" construction. Stuff most of the volume with rockwool etc and mount battens etc to hold it up. Then create a ceiling on those joists thus creating a free volume between the ceiling and the insulation.
Create a headspace equivalent to that needed by your down lights.

Or as EFLI suggests. Forget about the down lights and fits some surface lights on those joists. Downlghts are soooo last century!

Yeah with regards to the warm roof... this is a pitched roof outbuilding with a ceiling so technically there is a "warm roof" above so any small sound leaks in the ceiling might get blocked by the pitched roof.

I just figured that in this day and age companies would be selling low-profile LED down lights that could be immersed in rock wool and wouldn't need a deep cut like the standard ones.

Sponsored Links
If you want this to be soundproof, cutting holes in the ceiling for any type of light fitting, or any other reason, should be avoided.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back