Are downlighters a fire hazard?

There is also nothing to stop someone replacing an aluminium lamp with a dichroic reflector lamp in a fire rated fitting -

...Have you tried installing a GZ10 lamp in to a fire rated 230 volt fitting ?

I haven't tried it, and wouldn't even attempt it, as it's not possible as far as I'm aware. However, there definitely are fire rated fittings that will accept non aluminium reflector lamps. One example would be those that accept ELV lamps with the GU5.3 base.

Sponsored Links
electronicsuk";p="1502845 said:
There is also nothing to stop someone replacing an aluminium lamp with a dichroic reflector lamp in a fire rated fitting -

...Have you tried installing a GZ10 lamp in to a fire rated 230 volt fitting ?

I haven't tried it, and wouldn't even attempt it, as it's not possible as far as I'm aware[/b ????

Good you now accept that a mains fre rated fitting is only designed for reflector lamps...therefore you can now consider my comparisons with the open backed type .

On your 2nd point regarding the elv variety, I have already mentioned this drawback in my previous posts...as does the article referred to in the op

Good you now accept that a mains fre rated fitting is only designed for reflector lamps...therefore you can now consider my comparisons with the open backed type .

On your 2nd point regarding the elv variety, I have already mentioned this drawback in my previous posts...as does the article referred to in the op

I have considered them, but I don't consider them a good enough argument to justify the use of fire rated fittings, when a regular fitting will take an aluminium reflector lamp, and is 1/3 of the cost.

If you consider it better workmanship to fit fire rated fittings, it's your call, and if your customers are happy to pay for it then fair enough. However, that doesn't mean I don't think it's a pointless waste of money.

Have been an electrician for 8 years, before that was a physics teacher, fitted hundreds of downlighters - would be a cold day in hell if I ever fitted one of the little firetraps in my house!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
If you consider it better workmanship to fit fire rated fittings, it's your call, -I do think that yes ! ...for the reasons I have stated.

and if your customers are happy to pay for it then fair enough. -As I have also previously stated ..What price Safety ?

However, that doesn't mean I don't think it's a pointless waste of money.--- We will need to agree to differ here then electronicsuk.

Morning BAS,

But the design does not prevent someone putting a dichroic lamp in it

..not heard of, or come across a dichroic lamp that fits into a GU10 lampholder..but I am prepared to be corrected on this...can you tekll me how common they are ?

Why not just fit standard downlighters with GU10 lampholders then if the only adavantage of installing pointless fire rated fittings is preventing the use of dichroic lamps?

Why not just fit standard downlighters with GU10 lampholders then if the only adavantage of installing pointless fire rated fittings is preventing the use of dichroic lamps?

Hi yer RF.

Preventing the use of Dichroics is not the Main point I am trying to convey here.
If you look back over my comments then it will be clear the point I am making is that an enclosed back on a fitting is safer than an open type in terms of inadvertant contact with combustible materials [ loft scenario ]
....Forget the term Fire Rated in this instance as I am not commenting on the fire rated qualities of the fittings.in respect of their use in this context.

Consider an R60 Reflector type fitting , Would you be happy to fit one of these if the back was cut away from it
...then just translate this thinking into the usage and appliccation of halogen downlights..much safer if the Enclosed type [Temed Fire Rated] is used in these appklications..That is the main point I have been attempting to get across.

BAS states,,

Sadly all too common.

Not convinced that all lamps contained in the links ,though described in the ads as Dichroic ;are in fact true dichroic,,,some appear to be aluminium reflector.
Going back to my question of how readilly available are GU10 dichroics ...I am still unconvinced they are.

Most customers would take a trip to their local supermarket / or B&Q / etc when wishing to replace a faulty lamp........they would be hard pushed to find a GU10 dichroic lamp available for sale.....call in and look yourself !

..GZ type lampholders were designed to accept the dichroic version with its distinctive square ended shape
c

Not convinced that all lamps contained in the links ,though described in the ads as Dichroic ;are in fact true dichroic,,,some appear to be aluminium reflector.
Wouldn't that be remarkably foolish of the makers?

If someone needed a dichroic lamp to avoid heat damage to what it was illuminating and installed a PAR which was incorrectly described by the maker, thus damaging something, don't you think that they might find themselves liable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back