Are downlighters a fire hazard?

Sponsored Links
Yes,I read that yeaterday - I am not at all surprised.

To save anyone else the time:

Downlighters are a fire risk if you do not follow the makers instructions.

I was also not surprised to find that some downlighters are a fire risk even if you do follow the makers instructions :rolleyes:

Some fittings were just not up to the job and it is important not to use dichroic ("cool beam") lamps especially not in enclosed fire-rated fittings.
But - the article states - you need aluminium reflector lamps for these but they are not generally available!

3 of these all the way through in one case, all scortched!

And in Surrey where this report originated.

Probably the same electrician causing the fires!

Sponsored Links
This only confirms what I have been thinking of for a very long time.

The worst, potential ,and very real danger is with 12 volt fire rated downlights....Manufacturers do tend to supply these type of fittigs complete with the aluminium reflector lamp,but as is plainly obvious as soon as they require replacement then in the vast majority of cases they will be replaced with the dichroic variety...as it is only this type that is available to most customers. Even if aluminium 12 volt lamps were made freely available the fact that they utlize the same type of lampholder would means problems would still occur....this is why the 230 volt variety have GU10 AND GZ10 lampholders.

I am well aware of the requirements of the building Regs in respect of types of locations requiring Fire rated downlights [ or hoods ], but I fit Fire rated fittings in all ceilings that have an accessible loft space and in all ceilings with another floor space above it. I will only fit open backed downlights in dropped ceilings i.e. with an inaccesable space between it and the original ceiling. This descision is not based on the fire rating of the particular ceiling, it is based on the assesed likelyhood of combustible objects, items, or debri finding there way on top of the light fitting...Fire rated fittings with their enclosed canister type of design offer sheilding from direct contact with the intrense heat of the back of the lamp......
..Just my preference..I am sure others have differing views.

i concur with spark 1, i would much rather install a fire rated downlight in any situation which doesn't involve a droped ceiling.

i think spot lights in general are a fad, like artex and gold/brass victorian scrolled sockets and switches

And the intumescent cylinder enclosing the lamp doesn't get extremely hot?

It's incredible just how many people fail to see that a fire rated downlighter is just as likely to start a fire as a non fire rated one.

There is no reason to fit them in a non fire rated ceiling, and all it acheives is to increase the final bill for your customer.

It's incredible just how many people fail to see that 1.a fire rated downlighter is just as likely to start a fire as a non fire rated one.
2.b]There is no reason to fit them in a non fire rated ceiling,[/b] 3, and all it acheives is to increase the final bill for your customer.

1. Dont agree --Reasons already given.
2. No legal reason...but good practice for reasons already stated
3. What price Safety ??

1. Dont agree --Reasons already given.
How does a "fire proof" luminaire, with the same ventilation characteristics as a regular one (obviously needed to stop the lamp from overheating) but which contains a material designed to intumesce when temperatures reach those which mean a fire has started below the light stop them from causing a fire in normal use?

Clearly the intumescent components cannot operate at normal temperatures, so what mechanism stops the heat from a poorly installed luminaire setting fire to something else?

3. What price Safety ??
About the same price as ignorant superstition?

Anyway - simple solution to solve all real and potential problems - ban the ******* things outright.

BAS.....your such a tease !

Fire rated downlights are intended for use with Aluminium reflector lamps which are designed to throw the majority of their radiated heat downwards and away from the luminaire, leading to a reduced temperature to the rear surface...[ as previosly stated ,however,there is a drawback here with elv lampholder luminaires ] . The same cannot be said for standard downlights as the back of their lamp is prersenting a higher temperature to its surroundings. [ more so if dichroics or GZ10s are fitted.] ....correctly installed this need not be a problem but ,as I have pointed out - in an accessible loft situation...we all know items are extremely likely to be inadvertantly placed close too or on top of them.

Ignorant superstition ? No !..... more like Informed Reality !

BAS.....your such a tease !

Fire rated downlights are intended for use with Aluminium reflector lamps which are designed to throw the majority of their radiated heat downwards and away from the luminaire, leading to a reduced temperature to the rear surface...[ as previosly stated ,however,there is a drawback here with elv lampholder luminaires ] . The same cannot be said for standard downlights as the back of their lamp is prersenting a higher temperature to its surroundings. [ more so if dichroics or GZ10s are fitted.]

Any downlight fitting can and probably should be used with an aluminium reflector lamp, regardless of whether it's fire rated or not. There is also nothing to stop someone replacing an aluminium lamp with a dichroic reflector lamp in a fire rated fitting - in fact, it's highly likely this could happen, given their abundant availability compared to the aluminium reflector variety.

Have to agree that fitting fire rated downlights where not required is a waste of money.

There is also nothing to stop someone replacing an aluminium lamp with a dichroic reflector lamp in a fire rated fitting -

...Have you tried installing a GZ10 lamp in to a fire rated 230 volt fitting ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back