Are you a chav?

...The accepted etymology for "chav" is that it derives from the Romani word "chavi", meaning a child...
Have heard it used as above by the odd gypsy, down the years.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
...The accepted etymology for "chav" is that it derives from the Romani word "chavi", meaning a child...
Quoted from where?

And if I decline to accept this etymology (on account of it being utter tripe), does it thereby become unaccepted?

Quoted from where?
And if I decline to accept this etymology (on account of it being utter tripe), does it thereby become unaccepted?

"But it seems that the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is new to most people.

Other terms for the class also have Romany connections; another is charver, Romany for prostitute. Yet another is the deeply insulting *****, presumably from the Kentish dialect term for gypsy that was borrowed from turnpike, so a person who travels the roads."

http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-cha2.htm

Sponsored Links
? said:
But it seems that the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is new to most people.
Again, who first wrote this fat wodge of vague tosh?

? said:
But it seems that the word is from a much older underclass, the gypsies, many of whom have lived in that area for generations. Chav is almost certainly from the Romany word for a child, chavi, recorded from the middle of the nineteenth century. We know it was being used as a term of address to an adult man a little later in the century, but it hasn’t often been recorded in print since and its derivative chav is new to most people.
Again, who first wrote this fat wodge of vague tosh?

Etymology is a pretty vague subject. Why pick on this one word? Why not doubt the meaning of every word?

I'm not picking on any word other than chav (which is the subject of this topic) - I wasn't the one to claim to be quoting its etymology; I was just the one pointing out that you and empip were quoting complete and utter nonsense.

You tell us where the word 'chav' comes from then and deny that it is from a Romani word 'Chavi'. Quote your sources though.

You tell us where the word 'chav' comes from then and deny that it is from a Romani word 'Chavi'. Quote your sources though.
You're in no position to be making demands.

If you want to know then go and find out for yourself.

Right. So you know where the word didn't come from - but you don't know where the word did come from. That's some argument you got there, Softus.

That's some illogic you've got there joe-90, but I suspect it's just a smoke screen in a failed attempt to cover up the fact that you've quoted yet another thing that's devoid of authority.

When you go to your GP you are given an 'opinion'. No authority there or here. It's a word that has reference through time. Someone has researched its use and given an opinion.

46% :oops:

images

When you go to your GP you are given an 'opinion'.
No; it's a professional opinion underpinned by years of training and experience.

No authority there or here.
Quite wrong. I give (or withhold) my GP his authority.

It's a word that has reference through time. Someone has researched its use and given an opinion.
Indeed so.

And my opinion is that their research is flawed, and their conclusion misleading (aka wrong).

Do we really to keep revisiting this "it's only your opinion" caveat on the fora? Can't it be taken as read that everything is an opinon?

All that aside, I've come to expect that your quotes aren't authoritative. empip, however, should be ashamed of himself.

Sponsored Links
Back