Are you a chav?

Er, no, you've missed the point.

Some opinions are based in, and coincide with, fact.

Some other opinions aren't, and don't.

For example, you're quite prepared to post lies and deliberately ridiculous and twisted inferences in order to make a point in a dramatic and argumentative way. I prefer to post the truth.

It takes all sorts to make a world.

Sponsored Links
Post the truth about the word 'chav' then. C'mon the stage is yours.

(he won't)

I said (in as many words) - Put up or shut up.

I guess you decided to shut up eh? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Er, no, you missed the point, which I then explained, which you then ignored.

I see. You 'shut up' whichever way you look at it.

For example, you're quite prepared to post lies and deliberately ridiculous and twisted inferences in order to make a point in a dramatic and argumentative way. I prefer to post the truth.

I vividly recall the word chav / chavy / chavi being used by local Gypsies with reference to children, certainly not an untruth.

A clue...
Romany roots

Further...
[url=http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Romani+language]Someone here [/url] said:
...Romani or Romany (native name: rromani ćhib) is the language of the Roma and Sinti. The Indo-Aryan Romani language should not be confused with either Romanian (spoken by Romanians), or Romansh (spoken in parts of southeastern Switzerland), both of which are Romance languages.

And a little chat...
56 secs into this sound file provides a usage clue.
Some words discussed (click)

-o-

I vividly recall the word chav / chavy / chavi being used by local Gypsies with reference to children, certainly not an untruth.
I didn't intend to imply that that part was untrue, but that meaning of chav isn't the same as the subject of this topic, hence there is [currently] no published proof [here] that the etymology of the two words has any common root.

56 secs into this sound file provides a usage clue.
Some words discussed (click)
Only as to the root of the other meaning for the word.

Surely even you. Softus, must concede that the balance of probability is that the word Chav was once a gypsy word for child and that Gypsy children became known as chavs. Maybe they had a penchant for all things bright and beautiful and thus chav then referred to all such children/youths. Reasonable isn't it?

It isn't unreasonable, I grant you, but I don't subscribe to that theory, for two reasons:

1. It's wrong.
2. The contemporary edition of "chav" isn't reserved for children.

It's just a coincidence, IMHO.

There's another 'reasonable' theory that I don't subscribe to, which is this one. I've been waiting for someone else to dredge up that one and am surprised that no-one did.

Note, the Gypsies referred to all children as chavvies, not just their own -

It was not derogotary in any way, and I do recall the word being picked up along with 'gavver', 'cushty', 'mush' and others by younger, non Gypsy villagers.
Pretty good evidence, all told, I reckon... Without chavvy remarks.

-o-

It isn't unreasonable, I grant you, but I don't subscribe to that theory, for two reasons:

1. It's wrong.
2. The contemporary edition of "chav" isn't reserved for children.

It's just a coincidence, IMHO.

There's another 'reasonable' theory that I don't subscribe to, which is this one. I've been waiting for someone else to dredge up that one and am surprised that no-one did.

todays use of the word chav is just another more pc way of saying *****. so it does originate from the gypsey lingo, simple as that really bruv. custhty.

Sponsored Links
Back