army protesters

It was a conflict
If I had a conflict with a neighbour I wouldnt call the navy in.

Call it what you like, once one warship fires against another, once one soldier fires against another, once one fighter plane fires against another in my eyes thats War!

Sponsored Links
I just wonder if those 'belly-aching' over a few protesters have ever thought that at one time in their sad lives they might have encountered something they disagree with?

What would happen if their right to express their viewpoint was summararily surpressed as they are advocating?

You may not agree with the content of a protest, but don't go down the route of denying protest!

Your quote from another thread - are you a British national? If so, explain to me why you advocate foreign nationals killing innocent British subjects.

vinty wrote:
Some wars are justified and some wars are not. The issues involved in the Falklands war were clear cut, the indigenous population of the Islands were British and were under foreign occupation.

So clear cut of course that a British government had been in talks with those 'foreign occupiers' over the future sovereignty of the Islands...

So clear cut that the Argentine government decided to invade the British sovereignty of the Falkland Islands whilst in discussions.
These are British lands. I know brave servicemen that fought in that war. They were sent to protect a British territory.
Are you sure that you are a British national?

Some wars are justified and some wars are not. The issues involved in the Falklands war were clear cut, the indigenous population of the Islands were British and were under foreign occupation.
So clear cut of course that a British government had been in talks with those 'foreign occupiers' over the future sovereignty of the Islands... ;)
Yeah of course they talked to them, just like like the police do when some nutter is holding innocent people hostage, the object of the excercise is to try to resolve the situation through dialogue if that doesn't work then force has to be used.

Sponsored Links
Well dont take it to heart Thermo it was a long time ago.

not taking it to heart but your synopsis is wrong. It was actually the argentine forces who were much better equipped, and had the larger amount of equipment and better supply lines. The problem was they didnt know how to use it to best effect, and it was an example of the classic british military mentality of make do and mend and get on with it.

not taking it to heart but your synopsis is wrong. It was actually the argentine forces who were much better equipped, and had the larger amount of equipment and better supply lines. The problem was they didnt know how to use it to best effect, and it was an example of the classic british military mentality of make do and mend and get on with it.
I was referring to the fact that a great deal of the argentines were little older than schoolkids.

I was referring to the fact that a great deal of the argentines were little older than schoolkids.

Tim with respect, our armed forces are also largely made up of young men just out of school. In the Falklands many had force marched 27 miles before the fighting and dying began.

My understanding of the Falklands conflict was that it was intended as an argentinian political means to unite its people against the devil with"out" (the UK in this case) as a means to deflect increasing disgruntlement from the devil within (the argentinian government) on a host of internal policies.

It was a conflict that they knew couldn't be won, unless complete apathy from the UK played a role, since they hadn't the calibre of armed forces available nor the means of offshore support. Hence why they used largely the relatively untrained conscripted army whilst keeping the professional force largely on the mainland to aid combat civil unrest.

they had some very good units on the island. ask a few veterans how tough some of the fighting was on there. The juanta gambled on britain not coming to fight as they misinterpreted the political signals we had given regarding talks on soverignty. The argentine government was in complete turmoil and looking at ways to ease its problems.

they had some very good units on the island. ask a few veterans how tough some of the fighting was on there.

To be sure, required to organise the invasion and quell any islander upsrising. However, they had a large number of conscripts too, which if the intention to remain occupiers and defend indefinitely were valid, would have been replaced/fortified by professionals during the time it took for the UK to arrive .

Are you sure that you are a British national?
NOYFB... ;)

If so, explain to me why you advocate foreign nationals killing innocent British subjects.
Where did I say that?

Yeah of course they talked to them, just like like the police do when some nutter is holding innocent people hostage, the object of the excercise is to try to resolve the situation through dialogue if that doesn't work then force has to be used.
I was talking about the years prior to the invasion... :rolleyes:

Sorry i thought you were referring to the diplomatic moves that were going on to get the Argintines to withdraw from the Islands before the British task force arrived.

You are correct about the talks that were going on before the invasion, the Tories made a big mistake by allowing the Argintinians to get the impression that the British wouldn't put up a fight if they seized the Islands.

Sorry i thought you were referring to the diplomatic moves that were going on to get the Argintines to withdraw from the Islands before the British task force arrived.

You are correct about the talks that were going on before the invasion, the Tories made a big mistake by allowing the Argintinians to get the impression that the British wouldn't put up a fight if they seized the Islands.
Thanks.

That was the point I was trying to put across. And whilst it didn't excuse the invasion itself, as you say it does explain the misconceptions which led to it. And that our governments (I believe Labour were also ambivalent towards the Islands's sovereignty) were not entirely blameless in the whole affair!

Sponsored Links
Back