Australia deal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
George Eustice a former UKIP, leave supporting cabinet minister has branded LT's Australia deal a failure. It would seem the free marketeers are saying the deal is good for UK consumers because prices will be lower. And the protectionists are arguing the deal is bad for uk farming interests. So what part of the Brexit justification leads to the right conclusion?

Blup

Sponsored Links
How can importing anything from the other side of the world be better than getting it local where possible? Especially with fuel and transport costs and environmental issues being an important consideration.

Assuming the benefit is 2 way trade, it is much easier to arrange a delivery to Europe than Australia for most, if not all, SME's.

But when a major Brexiteer brands the deal a failure it is frustrating, but not surprising.

Anybody that wants to argue the opposite just has to point out the benefits, it is the only way to justify Brexit. There are some big benefits ?

To make Ozzy beef, etc competetive in The UK market it stands to reason cuts in quality and animal welfare will be needed to offset the sizeable logistical premium on shipping the stuff from the other side of the world. I won't be buying Oz beef or anything else from there that circumvents standards that European producers have to adhere to. Naturally their wine and beer is still acceptable. (y)

Wonder if Himmy is still boycotting S African apples. :unsure:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
George Eustice a former UKIP, leave supporting cabinet minister has branded LT's Australia deal a failure. It would seem the free marketeers are saying the deal is good for UK consumers because prices will be lower. And the protectionists are arguing the deal is bad for uk farming interests. So what part of the Brexit justification leads to the right conclusion?

Blup
The Oz deal is so bad Tories delayed its implementation for 10 years.

a fundamental argument for Brexit was the “protectionist EU” line, so they don’t want to admit tariffs are there to protest domestic markets.

UK pastoral farming is made of small farms, low intensity, high land prices, in the case of sheep, very hilly…..all of which mean we can’t compete with Aust or NZ

WTF would we want to import beef from Aust when most of our beef can come from Ireland. It’s nuts

To make Ozzy beef, etc competetive in The UK market it stands to reason cuts in quality and animal welfare will be needed to offset the sizeable logistical premium of shipping the stuff from the other side of the world. I won't be buying Oz beef or anything else from there that circumvents standards that European producers have to adhere to. Naturally their wine and beer is still acceptable. (y)

Wonder if Himmy is still boycotting S African apples. :unsure:
i
just because it says British or has a union jack on it means nothing a animal carcass 'car components 'train bits as long as the last action off conversion or construction equals somthing like 12% off added value it can be called British
in the same way a car using all the same components from all over the world can be British 'Spanish' german whatever factory does the required last action

so indeed your lamb chops may have a British flag but started in new zealand

Same applies to China?
If China stopped exporting to us our economy would implode, not so with Australia. I would welcome more stuff being produced here but currently I can buy a 2kg sds drill £59 cheaper than I could 25 years ago, and I am talking Makita and Bosch.

Blup

How can importing anything from the other side of the world be better than getting it local where possible? Especially with fuel and transport costs and environmental issues being an important consideration.

Assuming the benefit is 2 way trade, it is much easier to arrange a delivery to Europe than Australia for most, if not all, SME's.

But when a major Brexiteer brands the deal a failure it is frustrating, but not surprising.

Anybody that wants to argue the opposite just has to point out the benefits, it is the only way to justify Brexit. There are some big benefits ?

Aren't Oz meant to be buying some nuclear subs from us?, That's one ******* big benefit.

i
just because it says British or has a union jack on it means nothing a animal carcass 'car components 'train bits as long as the last action off conversion or construction equals somthing like 12% off added value it can be called British
in the same way a car using all the same components from all over the world can be British 'Spanish' german whatever factory does the required last action

so indeed your lamb chops may have a British flag but started in new zealand

Not correct. All food must indicate the origin of the primary products alongside the country of origin of the final product.
So, if you do buy lamb chops with a British symbol on them and they originated from New Zealand, then it also has to state they are from New Zealand in the same field as the symbol.

Sponsored Links
Back