Basic visual checks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to look at a new property with a view to moving house.
Are there any basic visual checks I can do on the electric supply? What should I look out for before deciding to call in a proper sparks?
Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If its brand new you should be able to get the Electrical Installation Certificate from the builder

If just new to you, do these checks.

Look at fuseboard. Note supply type (if TT, rcd protection should be present).

Look for rubber cabling (black) going into fuseboard.

Look at stopcock for water & gas meter for PEB's.

Tools.

If you have one of these, plug it in....http://www.martindale-electric.co.uk/Specs/EZ150 & EZ650 spec.pdf

If you have a screwdriver & the permission of the vendor, remove a switch plate & check for cpc.

Sponsored Links
Should be fine for a 1980's install but there still could be faulty wiring especialy if some DIY circuits have been added. The consumer unit will probably be basic but safe I would still get an electricity safety check done just to put your mind at rest. There could be some dodgy DIY installations in there.

The installation most likely not comply with the latest regs ,but it dosn't mean its not safe. There are millions of 20 year old plus installations out there which are still safe.

If it's early 80's (14th ed), then, assuming it is unaltered, you will probably find an Ivory Wylex board, bonding to gas & water @ 4mm² and no RCD protection anywhere.

If it's early to mid 80's (15th ed), then, assuming it is unaltered, you will probably find an Ivory Wylex board, bonding to gas & water @ 6mm² and maybe a couple of RCD sockets adjacent to external doors.

If it's mid- late 80's ( 86-89, 15th ed), then, assuming it is unaltered, you will probably find an Ivory Wylex board with stand-alone RCD,
or RCD incomer CU with breakers, bonding to gas & water @ 6mm².

As has been suggested, look out for DIY. Maybe white cable, incorrect clips used, poor clipping skills, cable attached to plug tops, etc....

Secure I think I have the Ivory Wylex board, if that is the same thing as the standard 8 way one?

Am I right in thinking apart from the lack fo RCD protection the only problem with these boards is the limited maximum current which is allowed to flow through the switch (50amps I think?).

What I am getting is what should the OP be concerned about with a 14th edition installation? If it was safe then assuming its original it still is right?

Secure I think I have the Ivory Wylex board, if that is the same thing as the standard 8 way one?

The common sizes are 4, 6 & 8 way.

Am I right in thinking apart from the lack fo RCD protection the only problem with these boards is the limited maximum current which is allowed to flow through the switch (50amps I think?)

These consumer units were designed before RCD's were invented. If you do find one protected by RCD, it is a stand-alone unit wired into the tails.

Many early Standard Wylex units had only a 60A main switch. I don't know when the manufacturers changed to 100A switches but I do know that if the unit is not marked as having a 100A main switch, it has a 60A one.

What I am getting is what should the OP be concerned about with a 14th edition installation? If it was safe then assuming its original it still is right?

Well, at best, a 14th Ed. installation will be not to current standards, with undersized PEB's and no (or global) RCD, but not electrically unsafe.

At worst a 14th Ed. installation may have a borrowed neutral on the landing light and, according to the cable tables at the back of the 14th, be wired in rubber cable.

The good news about the 14th, which came into force in 1966, is that it introduced PEB's to service pipes & cpc's to lighting circuits. Pre-1966, it is common to find no PEB's & no cpc's in lighting, along with all sorts of other less common nasties like lead-sheathed cables, main earth supplies taken from water pipes, non standard socket outlets & fuses in neutral conductors.

Thanks I might take a picture of my consumer unit to see what people think. I am starting work tomorrow on basic safety checks like checking the plugs have the right fuses etc.

The wiring is all PCV, but when we once had a false ceiling replaced the ceiling rose behind looked old, not very old but the wire coming out of it was black, this was then connected to a modern style ceiling rose on the false ceiling. I was quite alarmed at the time as it may have been rubber but as it was only about 15cm long and carrying a low current it should be ok I guess?

I'm going to look at a new property with a view to moving house.
Are there any basic visual checks I can do on the electric supply? What should I look out for before deciding to call in a proper sparks?
Any advice appreciated.

While you look around pay attention to location and positions of electrical equipment.
The cooker isolator switch should be near the cooker but without leaning over it to switch off.
Check light positions in the bathroom ie if its directly over the bath, or that the light is suitable for the bathroom & not a pendant.
In the garden look for twin & earth cable exposed to sunlight, and that equipment is correct IP rating.

Before you open anything up you will already get an idea of what to expect.

regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back