Basin Mate - Where am I going wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from my previous post //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/bathroom-basin-leaking-from-basin-waste-pipe-joint.348908/ I've been trying to fit the Basin Mate thing I got this morning. With the parts arranged as in the photos I can't seem to get the bottom half of the waste to screw onto the top half. As you can see the thread on the top part does not protrude through the black rubber part of the Basin Mate and the flange on the top of the bottom half of the waste makes it very difficult to push it on far enough to reach the thread. This is without using the white seal that's supposed to go between the chrome plug hole surround and the basin. That just makes the thread even more inaccessible.

Have I got these parts arranged in the correct way or is there something obvious I'm missing?

DSCF2967_zpse988b036.jpg

DSCF2964_zpse3c40c57.jpg

DSCF2965_zps1625ec95.jpg

Sponsored Links
M8 sling the basin M8 in the bin:cool: just seal round with silicone in place of the M8 - OK M8 ;)

I think the first thing we do when installing a new PUW is to throw half the gaskets and rubbers away and use silicone.

get rid of the damn pop-up. fit another waste. the thread on your existing isn't long enough for a basin mate.

Sponsored Links
get rid of the damn pop-up. fit another waste. the thread on your existing isn't long enough for a basin mate.

Hes right. A flip waste or spring loaded mushroom waste are much better.

All PUW with the rod going through the tap are pretty crap

i just knew there would be another thread on this when it was suggested on the other thread, i've never used a basin mate but isn't that black rubber suppost to go on the plug end inside the bowl of the basin ?

Caldwell, used a few of these and they have always worked so stick with it. Even when you change the waste for another type as advised you don't get more than 2/3 threads exposed at best to screw the basin mate on

had this once before and cut the basin mate down obviously not on the end that goes against the ceramic. Was same nasty plug but never leaked again. Some of the nasty ones are only plastic pressed on and you will never get the thing tightened properly. Also the sink hole may be slightly oval this is where the basin mate helps. I have never had one fail where others have tried and failed. Good product

Get some hemp + bosswhite - make 2 grommets - one for inside the basin , one for outside - that`ll never leak , nor come apart again :mrgreen:

Ok, thanks for all the replies. After persevering with the Basin Mate as it was until it became obvious it was not going to go on without huge struggle I decided to cut it down to fit. It went on no problem after that and now my basin is sealed and watertight :)

Merry Christmas!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back