BBC Rogue Traders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Caught a bit of this on telly tonight, it focused on a father & son spark company who were trying to flog new CUs because the customers' ones weren't up to current regs (no RCD etc). The reporter hammered them for this, but isn't this standard procedure for domestic sparks? I see it a lot even on here; "you need a new CU mate".

Did anyone else see it? Opinions?

Sponsored Links
Didn't see it.

How were they selling? High pressure? Fear tactics? Lying about how it was compulsory to update?

Intrinsically there's no more wrong with explaining to people about the safety benefits of RCDs and advising that it would be a Good Thing to have them than there is selling people on the benefits of extra loft insulation.

Always remember - these programmes are contrived to create things for people to get upset about.

Lying about how it was compulsory to update.

"them {sic} boxes were banned in Jan 2008 mate!, I've got to rip it out, it's the law, gonna cost you £650-750"

Crooks, nothing else to say about them - give us honest sparkies a bad name.

Sponsored Links
those robbing 'stards want stringing up and publicly flogged for ripping the wrinklies.
Only saw part of it, one of the cowboys jumped in and started talking about heart attacks. Scare tactics of the worst kind.

However, i thought it was also highly irresponsible for the 'electrical expert' to out-of-hand say that the job should cost no more than £350 max without any further explaination. I hope the next customer who wants a full RCBO board didn't watch that, it'll be awkward :(
Still, what do you expext from Matt Alwright, an in-depth analysis and production of downloadable fact sheet for concerned viewers, or something looks good in a 10 minute article? (don't forget the viewer ratings are all important to furtherance of their own careers ;) )

Rather than turn it into an entertainment vehicle, perhaps they should give the evidence gathered to the authorities for a prosecution.

The main objection I had to the program was that it showed a property with a hager 6 way board, main switch up front, no RCD protection, and stated it was 'absolutly fine' and didn't need changing.

Now for the purpose of the fault they were called there to fix it didn't, nothing new was being installed or extended thats fine. The fella said that the board didnt comply with the current or the previous regs and explained what an RCD did and the benefit to the customer.

I know that the old 'your heart can onlt take so much electricity' thing sounds scary and isn't completly true, I dont think 30mA is entirly safe, I am certain 30mA could pop the clogs of many a wrinkly; but I cant see a problem with the guy so far.

The problem is the pricing, in all fairness that little hager board with about 5 circuits in it could have been retained and the MCB's changed to RCBO's where required for alot less than the price he quoted. although the other thing the BBC could have suggested that people who were unsure of the state of their electrics should employ an electrician to carry out a PIR, and so should the rogues.

Unless the program was edited and they took insulation resistance tests there was no sort of mention of checking the installation before or infact what the bill would have been if there were any faults found after installation of the CU.

What about the rip off heating pump replacement....£955

If it goes well it's an hours work and say £60 for the pump.

Worst case maybe a day rate...say an inaccesible feed's blocked etc.

Most times though a couple of hours labour will cover it.

Either way this lot are scum of the lowest order. :evil:

Christ, I paid £150 for a replacement CU, yes, qualified sparky, plus relevant documentation. That's in the south east. OK, let's qualify it a bit, I supplied the CU (12way split load fully loaded - £1.00) off ebay, also I know the guy who did it so got mates rates, even though £600 - £900 to replace a CU? Seems excessive to me (assuming a straight swap)

Christ, I paid £150 for a replacement CU, yes, qualified sparky, plus relevant documentation. That's in the south east. OK, let's qualify it a bit, I supplied the CU (12way split load fully loaded - £1.00) off ebay, also I know the guy who did it so got mates rates, even though £600 - £900 to replace a CU? Seems excessive to me (assuming a straight swap)

A few years back my parents were having building work done and as part of this work the new circuits would need a RCD adding for protection. We were asked if we would like him to change whole consumer unit instead of just adding another box for an extra £150 which seemed very reasonable. So I said yes.

Calling in that night the guy was pulling his hair out as the RCD would not hold in. I found him another RCD which was same and then asked what the readings had been before he started at which point I found all he had was a multi-meter. He fitted an isolator as a temporary promising to return.

We never saw him again. We had to complete the work and arrange for the LABC to issue the completion certificate and take all the reading and enter them on an Insulation certificate with a note that we were only signing for inspection and testing and not design and installation.

Getting low quotes is all very good but getting the job done is another matter and one should realise if it's cheap then you are likely to have problems.

And unlike my son and I many people will not realise it's not right and will not have the skill to correct it.

Assuming the straight swap, which mine was is prescient here. Obvously wouldn't comment on a more complex situation

As to program missed it and it's not available for down load. However I have seen a few in the past. Any pair of electricians will at least debate and sometime get into heated arguments as to what the regulations allow. You only have to look on this web site. If anyone is going to point out failing then they must hold some position of authority which exceeds that of the person they are criticising.

Regional Inspector from one of the schemes or a college lecturer would seem to fit the bill. One would expect to see a few letters behind his name at least and really one could expect a Dr in front. However the guys employed in the other programs I have seen are just other run of mill electricians and many on here have commented on their inaccurate statements.

I expect the electricians (If they were electricians?) did do some untoward things but over charging is not something one can really complain about after all the local government under Part P regulations have been over charging us for years.

I feel with the very limited use of BBC that is also something I am overcharged for and I don't see why my licence fee should pay for people abroad to get news etc. from the BBC web site.

So let him without sin cast the first stone!!!!!

Alot of the problem the rogue traders program has, no matter what the subject, is always orientated around pricing, putting incompetence to one side and health and safety.

The overcharging part has got nothing to do with it.

If you decide to get the first tradesman out to do a job, accept his quote and then moan about it after wards then that is completely up to you, if you are unsure then you can always get a second opinion / quote, as stated on here so many times, the cheapest aint always the best and certainly the most expensive isn't the best,

These fellas have presented a price to do a job, the customer has agreed to the price, the job has been done and the money paid.

Over charging happens all the time, compare a boiler installation from your local gas safe plumber and one from British gas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back