BBQ's

Sponsored Links
Back in Liverpool we had a family of South African pathologists move in next door as it was a privately rented out house.

They were always having BBQ's and inviting people round, we were never brave enough to go.

You missed a treat, Braai is a national sport and because they have them most weekends are well skilled at cooking properly. A SA friend used to cook a 1/2 lamb which took 7 hours. His grille was modified with a rig whereby he could wind the meat up and down accroding to the temperature..

The biggest mistake we tend to make in the UK is light BBQ at midday and start cooking at 12.15. The coals need time to settle for a good hour and then you're good to go....

Sponsored Links
BBQ food is disgusting. Why traipse round to someone's BBQ to be served burnt high-fat, obnoxious-smelling c**p shared with flies?

Rubbish. That's like driving a Lada and then saying that all cars are crap.

A BBQ can be a mass of cremated fatty, greasy cheap burgers and sausages. Lots of people in The UK seem to think this is what a BBQ is all about. If you put a bit of thought and effort in, it can be a healthy meal with it's own distinctive taste.

I never eat barabcued food. It's highly carcinogenic.
1 out of every 2 people in the UK get cancer!

Can you name something that doesn't have at least a marginal carcinogenic risk attached to it?

Lettuce :?: :?:

Covered in carcinogenic pesticides, then wrapped in plastic that could potentially leach chemicals into the lettuce. Are the fertilisers used to grow it completely carcinogen free?

You can find potentially carcinogenic elements in almost anything. ;)

Sombrero said:
I'm not good in the kitchen, I admit it.. (much better in the bedroom though !!)..

You cook in the bedroom? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Whitespirit66 said:
A BBQ can be a mass of cremated fatty, greasy cheap burgers and sausages. Lots of people in The UK seem to think this is what a BBQ is all about. If you put a bit of thought and effort in, it can be a healthy meal with it's own distinctive taste.

Absolutely! :!: :!: :!: Contrary to what I might have posted elsewhere, the first rule of the barbecue is USE GOOD QUALITY MEAT! More often than not, I'll judge a butcher by the quality of their sausages and burgers. If they ooze so much fat that they shrink to half their original size, I'll shop somewhere else.

As far as other ideas go, try whole chicken thighs. The trick here is to pre-cook them in the oven first, preferably the previous day. Do them in foil for 30 mins per pound + 30 mins extra at 190° or 170° for a fan oven. Drain off the fat and juice (which you can keep for gravy) then wrap them back in their foil and let them go cold. Finally, reheat them on the barbecue, crisping the skin in the process. :cool: :cool: :cool:

There are other ways to barbecue chicken; like in pieces on skewers, interspersed with mushrooms, peppers, pickles, or whatever else takes your fancy. Personally, I would always pre-cook chicken; ditto for pork.

PS: The other golden rules of the barbecue are:

1) The chef needs an adequate supply of Carlsberg Special.

2) Somebody else does the buns.

3) After somebody's taken the trouble to cook it outside --

-- Calsberg Special or no --

-- don't b****r off back indoors to eat it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

And finally:

Beware of parties where everybody is invited to 'bring something for the barbecue'. Unless you all know each other, there's a very good chance that many people will bring cheap meat (it's not nearly so obvious as cheap wine) and you'll end up with a bun full of minced cow heel. :eek: :eek: :eek: Been there, done that, don't want any more of those tee-shirts thankyou very much!. I'd still like to know which cheapskate got the benefit of my quality sausages. :evil: :evil: :evil:

I never eat barabcued food. It's highly carcinogenic.
1 out of every 2 people in the UK get cancer!

Can you name something that doesn't have at least a marginal carcinogenic risk attached to it?

Google wrote

People who regularly eat burned or charred red meat, have a 60 percent higher risk of pancreatic cancer, according data presented at the American Association for Cancer Research 100th Annual Meeting 2009. University of Minnesota

Marginal is presumambly a few percent which lowers the risk considerably in comparison to 60%.

Something growing in your own garden that you have nurtured without pesticides should equate to a few percent.
Eating dead animals is never a healthy proposition. Look what it did to the neanderthals!
And the modern day neanderthals are still eating it. :LOL:

A neighbour of mine was always having bbq,s ..everytime the sun was out he was cooking on coals.... sadly he passed away a few weeks ago with liver cancer

Sponsored Links
Back