Neighbours slaughtering chickens / turkeys in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the house next door had a change of occupants last year, they are an Iraqi family they seem ok and are generally no trouble.

they have friends over and have bbq's at just about every opertunity which i dont mind, but they always bring in about 4 chickens and 4 turkeys all live, they bring them in a large make shift cage and slaughter them in their back garden by chopping the heads off and letting them bleed all over the floor, they then dunk them in hot water for a few seconds then pull off the skins and chuck the skins with feathers against the fence dividing our gardens.

they do all this a couple of hours before they start cooking, blood is all over the garden, once they have killed all the chickens ect they put them all in a plastic bin, pick up the skins and bin them and finally hose down all the blood towards the soil and grass. there garden is fractially higher than mine and much of the water containing blood runs through and covers my patio area.

im bothered greatly by this as i feel it un-hygenic and it may start to attract vermin.

i have spoken to him about this and he just does not get my point, he just says "i eat i kill first" i say cant you just buy them ready slaughtered? he says "no cheaper buy live".

i fully understand that in order to cook a chicken it must first be killed but i feel that a garden is not the place for doing this.

any advice please.

Sponsored Links
you need to fully explain your concernes and explain in your culture and in this area this is unusual and possibly has never happened before
you should also explain that his "contamination "that is entering your garden and is undesirable as a bio hazard
and explain is not welcome and should prefferebly be done in doors where cleaning can easily be contained and bio material can be correctly delt with

Report him to the local health inspector, seems to me to be unreasonable behavior.

Well as far as I can ascertain from your post you have been very accommodating. You have tried to act in a responsible manner and ask him nicely to stop butchering in the back garden. You have explained your concerns regarding the possibility of his actions attracting vermin (too late, they've moved in!). He's obviously a totally ignorant git!

Your next step (in my opinion and as wotan suggests), is to get the local Health Inspector involved and the council. If the house is rented I'd get onto the landlord and tell him/her what's going on and what you intend to do. I think the local newspapers will probably be interested as well. I also think I'd contact the RSPCA. I'm not saying the birds aren't killed quickly and humanely etc but that's up to an expert to decide. My mate used to run a abattoir. They had to have a Vet on site.

Good luck. However, I have to say that my gut feeling is that nothing will happen as all of the authorities will be braking their backs to ensure none of his 'Human Rights' are infringed upon! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :evil: Grrrrrr these sorts of stories really get me going!!!! The annoying thing is that you have been so calm in your approach to him on this. If he lived next door to someone as ignorant as himself I have a feeling the outdoor activities wouldn't have got past the first butchering!

Please do get back to tell us how things go.

Sponsored Links
I may be wrong but I think it is illegal to slaughter anything outside of an abbatoir

The authorities should sort this out.

As a backup though, have you read the small print of the covenants on your property?
Ours, for example, says you're not allowed to keep chickens.
There may be something in there.

I may be wrong but I think it is illegal to slaughter anything outside of an abbatoir
Well you can certainly dispatch chickens in your own garden (have had to do one of ours recently), but it must be done in a humane way...

It appears you have been reasonable with this guy but it has not sunk in...call your enviromental officer as this is very unhygenic but beware once you mention they are of ethnic minority and their culture the local councillers will be hiding behind their desks

Many thanks to all, the house was originally privately owned, it was put on the market and sold the same day it went up, it was purchased by the local council and now they maintain the property, the Iraqi male works a night time job and so i guess he pays his rent to the council.

I contacted the council about this by phone and they just said under the rental agrement that they are not allowed to keep livestock. but as already mention he does not keep them just brings them in on the day.

I think i will do as many suggest and contact the local enviroment officer to see what they say.

i guess they are used to doing this back home in Iraq, shame they do not understand our way of living.

it wouldnt be so bad if he slaughtered them in his back then all blood would go down the plughole.

:confused:

So, years after flogging all the Good Council Houses. Your council buys a private house next door and you become semi with a mad chicken man in a council house :eek: It`s like " Band of Gold " but worse :eek: Only in Little Britain

What happened to your council waiting list? Why does a foreigner come in and get given a house?

What happened to your council waiting list? Why does a foreigner come in and get given a house?

That is a bloody disgrace!!!! How many "local people" in the area, for whatever reason, have been waiting a few years for a house. Along come an Iraqi family,,, top priority, move in right away. Arghhhhhhhhhh!!! makes my blood boil,,, it can't be allowed to go on and on this way,,, surely.

Sponsored Links
Back