Biodiesel

The issue is not really the engine, but the fuel system and especially the pump and injectors.

Oil added to the fuel can be relatively thick and not burn efficiently or have problems getting through the system - hence slight loss of economy. There can also be some carbon build up, dislodging of debris in the system and in [rare] cases the oil can degrade rubber seals

Bio-diesel will be thinner and perhaps have some other additives to aid combustion - it is a true manufactured fuel to known standards.

Technically, bio-diesel is "designed" so that it works the same as normal diesel. Where as, using an ad-hoc alternative fuel mixture will work, but as the engine system is not really designed for it, the longer term effects are an unknown

Sponsored Links
I dunno I still feel a bit iffy about putting methanol and caustic soda in my diesel engine.

ah, i see.

but people have been doing it for years

Yes, it may just mean that if a part is designed for say 100k miles on diesel, then it may (or may not) last 90k on an alternative fuel.

In real terms we will probably never know unless comparative testing is done.

Sponsored Links
Aren't we all?
I used to be an environmentalist way back when only hippies thought of the environment. Now that everyone jumps on the green bandwagon and is full of hypocrisy and political BS, I am less bothered.
If everyone was to read threads on bio diesel and change their cars as well, we would be knackered then!
Lucky most still think we are still cranks! :mrgreen:

I dunno I still feel a bit iffy about putting methanol and caustic soda in my diesel engine.

I would, it rots your factory fitted rubber seals. Back to limiting engine lifespan again, might as well use SVO and limit it more cheaply :D

Are seals made of rubber nowadays ? :confused:

AIUI, modern seals are veg proof!

Sponsored Links
Back