What Are You Doing To Mitigate The Impact Of War In The Ukraine ??

Sponsored Links
What Are You Doing To Mitigate The Impact Of War In The Ukraine ??

Well, firstly, I stopped saying “The” Ukraine as the Ukrainians hate it. It refers to a region of Russia, not the independent state .

I am wondering if we'll be forced to open up some coal mines. That would be pretty bonkers. Think we only recently blew up the last of the giant coal power station chimneys, didn't we?
nope we still have a coal fired power station which was used this winter

nope we still have a coal fired power station which was used this winter

You must be in Notts.

The two remaining ones are scheduled to close this year.

All the others in GB have already closed, and the ones I knew about when I worked in the industry are demolished.

There is one in Antrim that is being converted to gas.

There have been a few brief periods in the last couple of years when power stations started up. This was to burn remaining stockpiles of coal in their yards prior to demolition, to save the cost of paying someone to cart it away.

Sponsored Links
You must be in Notts.

The two remaining ones are scheduled to close this year.

All the others in GB have already closed, and the ones I knew about when I worked in the industry are demolished.

There is one in Antrim that is being converted to gas.

There have been a few brief periods in the last couple of years when power stations started up. This was to burn remaining stockpiles of coal in their yards prior to demolition, to save the cost of paying someone to cart it away.
scheduled to close is not closed , and it wasnt to burn stockpiles it was because they were needed when renewables etc couldnt provide enough power.
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58469238

Of course they burnt the stock when prices were highest.

Go and have a look at their coal yards today.

Full or empty?

Today coal is producing about 1GW

Less than solar.

And this is not a sunny day.

Less than bio.

Wind is 12 and Gas is 9.

Gas will be turned up to 15 later in the day, when demand goes up. It could be turned up to 25 or more.

Coal is an insignificant irrelevance

Last edited:
There are two advantages to digging a shelter.

One is, that, over the whole country, maybe 5% of the people in them will survive who might otherwise have died.

The other advantage is that it saves anybody else the effort of digging a hole to bury the others.

Today coal is producing about 1GW

Less than solar.

And this is not a sunny day.

Less than bio.

Wind is 12 and Gas is 9.

Gas will be turned up to 15 later in the day, when demand goes up. It could be turned up to 25 or more.

Coal is an insignificant irrelevance

Point out anything you claim is wrong.

Sponsored Links
Back