Blagdon Powersafe Outdoor Wall Socket Kit

Sponsored Links
So if one goes to local retailer and asks him to make up a "Kit" of parts you will require to install an outside socket then does that not need Part P?
If it's fixed wiring/accessories/appliances/etc then Part P applies to it no matter where or how the wiring/accessories/appliances/etc were sourced.

34245971.jpg

If the plug was attached then I would agree no Part P.
Not true.

“electrical installation” means fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter;

Something fixed can be plugged in.

However once you expect the user to attach the plug then I would say no different to any other box of parts and it will require Part P.
The plug is irrelevant.

I can accept a DIY guy breaking the rules. We all at some time will have exceeded the speed limit. However a manufacturer breaking the rules is something else. It's like your boss telling you that you must break speed limits.
Good analogy.

But thats not what the regs say, we are supposed to blindly follow any manufacturers instructions, no matter how dodgy or dangerous.
No we are not.

Yes it's more IET bolllerx,
holmslaw - you have a long-running campaign going aimed at discrediting the Wiring Regulations.

God knows why, as they don't apply where you live.

but thats what the BRB says.
Not to anybody with a modicum of intelligence, and without a perverse desire to use the existence of any perceived flaw as a reason to scorn the entire publication.

Sponsored Links
There's an equally clear one about good workmanship.

There's an equally clear set of ones about wiring systems being suitable for their environment.

But you, of course, want to discredit the regulations (for some perverse reason) so you insist that the one that must be followed is the one that contravenes safety, and possibly leads the installer into committing a criminal offence, and the one(s) that must be ignored are any which mean not following the MIs.

Yes, there is a conflict in 134.1, but there is nothing which says that the conflict has to be resolved by complying with only part of 134.1 and to hell with the rest of BS 7671.

The point is there is absolutely no conflict in 134.1 it is a clear unequivocal statement.
Doesn't it clearly and unequivocally call for good workmanship to be used?

So if following a manufacturers instructions leads to poor workmanship you don't think that there's a conflict in 134.1?

Or a conflict between it and other regulations?

Just because it is clear and unequivocal that doesn't mean that there can't be conflicts either within it or between it and other statements.

So stop giving your opinions of its this or its that, I am not interested in your worthless opinions - how many times do you have to be told.
Click this then, and your desire will be instantly gratified.

Continuing from the comments on this particular posting, clearly this is a manufacturer seeing Part PEE for what it is - over-regulation (by a nanny state goverment (who think that THEY are the only ones with any brains!!!). Good for them. The sooner Part PEE is repealed (releasing LABC from situations they are not, perhaps, fully qualified to assess without external assistance), the better! I know this will anger certain regular posters, (I could name them!!!!!!!!!) mais c'est la vie!
For example, if a friend/colleauge said to me now "I need an extra socket in the kitchen" my reply would now be "Go to <local DIY store> and buy a 4- or 6- way trailer and plug it in. Stick it to the wall with velcro so it can be easily removed. Before Part PEE i would have said "I'll come down on Saturday and install you a new double socket where you need it" I am an engineer. I always work to the regulations, often exceeding the minimum requirements. Potentially, which is safer? (Any replies from certain posters will not be taken into account!!!!!)

Quid pro Quo!

If you want to discuss the merits, or otherwise, of Part P of the Building Regulations it would be better if you could do so in an intelligent and adult fashion.

I did not intend to start a war! Please stop squabbling...

I think we can conclude that is fixed (even if the socket unclips, the cable doesnt). It doesn't seem dangerous though if installed correctly, though is is untidy and unprofessional and there is a risk someone could remove the rcd, mabye an rcd plug would be better sold with the kit...

It costs about £150 for the kit shown, not much more to have a propper job done.

The socket hangs on a bracket that's screwed to the wall. It can be picked up as easily as if it lay on the ground.
Fixed equipment. Equipment designed to be fastened to a support or otherwise secured in a specific location.
In that case, a TV mounted on a wall is fixed too.
And the cable is fixed as well.
I never said it wasn't.

Quite frankly I see little difference between this plug arrangement and a wall mounted TV (with the cable clipped to the skirting board and architrave to keep it tidy) insofar as they are both connections to fixed electrical equipment.

Of course, the significant difference is that the sockets allow the connection of outdoor appliances. To pretend that that's not notifiable is interpreting part P far more generously than even I would. I see the fact that this manufacturer is allowed to get away with it as vindicating my relaxed interpretation of part P.

The socket hangs on a bracket that's screwed to the wall. It can be picked up as easily as if it lay on the ground.
Fixed equipment. Equipment designed to be fastened to a support or otherwise secured in a specific location.
In that case, a TV mounted on a wall is fixed too.
And the cable is fixed as well.
I never said it wasn't.

Quite frankly I see little difference between this plug arrangement and a wall mounted TV (with the cable clipped to the skirting board and architrave to keep it tidy) insofar as they are both connections to fixed electrical equipment.

Of course, the significant difference is that the sockets allow the connection of outdoor appliances. To pretend that that's not notifiable is interpreting part P far more generously than even I would. I see the fact that this manufacturer is allowed to get away with it as vindicating my relaxed interpretation of part P.

Thats a good point, would installing a TV on the wall of a 'special location' such as a kitchen come under part p, probly not as it is a pre-fabricated item and requires no wiring, however what if you were to cut the plug of to push the wire though a worktop, then wired a new one on.........what about wiring an aerial socket in a kitchen, would that be notifiable?

Questions questions......

PS - Anyone noticed the time on this website is 1 hour behind the present?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back