Blagdon Powersafe Outdoor Wall Socket Kit

Time and time and time again, BAS asks “to explain why a cable cleated to a wall is not a fixed electrical cable”
On page 4,
Now I'll concede that if the cables are fixed in the cleats, then the cables themselves could be considered to be fixed. But they could be loose within the cleats. Are they then fixed? Consider this:

If the cables lay on the ground, they are clearly not fixed, even though their support (the ground) is fixed. If they are installed in conduit, the conduit has to be fixed before any cables are drawn in (to meet BS7671). The cables are not fixed to the conduit, so are the cables fixed? I think not. Now to the cleats. If they are sized so that they cannot grip the cable, is the cable then fixed? I think not.
So if you use cleats to fix a cable to the wall, it is not a fixed cable?
Not necessarily. If BAS wants to fix the cable to the building, he uses cleats that grip the cable and thus prevent it from being pulled out from the cleats.
So an air conditioning unit (for example) fixed to gallows brackets fixed to a wall is not an item of fixed electrical equipment?
The air conditioning unit is fixed because its refrigerant pipes stop it from being lifted off the bracket.

Electrical equipment that’s designed to be fixed has lugs or other means of screwing or bolting it to the building. Electrical equipment that's not designed to be fixed may be fixed to brackets, which are fixed to a building, and thus become fixed. Electrical equipment that’s merely hung, placed or clipped onto a bracket is not fixed (a thief can pick it up and run off with it).

Sponsored Links
Time and time and time again, BAS asks “to explain why a cable cleated to a wall is not a fixed electrical cable”
I was asking riveralt, because it is riveralt who says I am silly to think that it is a fixed cable.

You've already said that in your view such a cable is fixed, because a thief could not pick it up and run off with it.

So, Stoday reckons it IS fixed, as a thief could not walk off with it.

Riveralt is less convinced.

What if said thief carries a screwdriver, as many do? ;)

Sponsored Links
I can't see a thief having such poor taste as to nick one of those sockets :LOL:

What if said thief carries a screwdriver, as many do? ;)
I guess that if you're going to admit the possession of tools then in Stoday's universe there'd be no electrical installations within the scope of the Building Regulations at all.

It's BAS who's living on another planet. I'm using the common meaning of fixed — that it's not moveable. If it's not fixed, you can move it, as the girl in the video clip moved the sockets. On BAS's planet, the girl was moving a fixed object. :rolleyes: That's not allowed by Earth physics.

I have said that something intended to be fixed would have screw holes for that means of fixing. If it's screwed down so that it can't be moved, it's fixed.

The supply cable definately looked fixed in the video to me :p
IMO it is a horrible product manufactured in a feeble attempt to try and get around notification.
To me it is not:
"(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"
as you are having to wire a plug to make it work hence should be notifiable anyway.
Also the RCD thing is about as poor as it gets, having to plug the system into an easily removable device. Utter rubbish.

You know, Stoday, it really would help if you could work on the reading and paying attention things.

then there is little point in arguing that the socket is not [fixed], because the fixed cable brings the job into the scope of Part P.
and since then I've only talked about the fixed status of the cable, so why you keep banging on about the socket is beyond me.

Surely it can't be just so that you can disagree with me, no matter how ludicrous a position you have to take to do so?

And the cable is fixed as well.
I never said it wasn't.
So at first you denied that the cable was not fixed.

Then you tried this:
My definition is:

Fixed Equipment. Equipment that is fixed such that a passing thief can't grab it and make away with it.
(Which, it has to be said, didn't attract a lot of support.)

Then, when it became clear that that still meant that the cable was fixed, because clipped to the wall like that a thief could definitely not grab it and make away with it, you decided to try this:

I'm using the common meaning of fixed — that it's not moveable.
I really don't think that anybody applying common sense would say that a cable running through cleats or p-clips firmly screwed to a wall would say that the cable was not fixed to the wall.

If you were being paid to do a job, part of the spec for which included fixing the cable to the wall, what materials would you insist on using?

If the clips didn't exert a vice-like grip on the cable, how impressed would you be if the client refused to pay you?

I'm sitting here looking a phone which by any reasonable, common sense, definition is fixed to the wall. As with all, or nearly all, domestic indoor phones it has keyhole slots on the back, and the technique is to put screws in the wall, adjusted so that the heads are clear of the wall surface by just enough so that when the phone is placed over them and slid down it doesn't wobble about.

Imagine if you were installing an extension phone for someone, and they said they wanted you to fix the phone to the wall, would you:

a) Refuse, on the grounds that fixing it was not possible?

b) Argue, on the grounds that fixing it was not possible, but go ahead reluctantly?

c) Just get on and do it because you knew full well what "fixing it to the wall" meant?

What would you do if the client wasn't there?

If you did "mount it", shall we say, on the wall as I described, would you really be quite in agreement with the client, and not at all miffed, if they said "I'm not paying you because you did not fix the phone to the wall"?

FGS - when are you going to stop inventing these ever more bizarre definitions of things in desperate attempts to make out that regulations do not apply when they clearly do by any reasonable and common sense standards?

My definition is:

Fixed Equipment. Equipment that is fixed such that a passing thief can't grab it and make away with it.

That definition identifies fixed electrical equipment without the silly consequences of BAS's definition.
It's not really "my" definition - I genuinely believe an overwhelming number of people, applying the common sense meaning of fixed, would also use it.

And the consequence of it meaning that the cable is fixed is that the installation of it falls within the scope of the Building Regulations.

Now - you may very well think that it is silly to require people to install outside sockets, power to outbuildings etc in ways which make reasonable provision to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering them from fire or injury, but that's really an issue of whether, and how far, the state should regulate for safety.

To be so determinedly opposed to how far the state currently goes that you abandon all common sense in "defining" what "fixed" means just so that you can "show" that the regulations don't apply is crazy.

The supply cable definately looked fixed in the video to me :p
And to everyone except Stoday, I reckon.

And the makers of the product, despite the fact that they include items in the kit which they themselves call "fixings", and despite their brochure talking about cable being "fixed to a fence", and containing instructions like "Before committing to purchasing a specific sized system or fixing any of the system in place...."

IMO it is a horrible product manufactured in a feeble attempt to try and get around notification.
To me it is not:
"(c) pre-fabricated equipment sets and associated flexible leads with integral plug and socket connections"
as you are having to wire a plug to make it work hence should be notifiable anyway.
I agree, but that's a much subtler issue, and would require a court ruling to lay to rest. I'm sure it's definitely not what the legislators intended, but it probably does scrape by a strict "letter of the law" test.

Also the RCD thing is about as poor as it gets, having to plug the system into an easily removable device. Utter rubbish.
A plug in RCD is better than none if the socket isn't already protected, but their claim that using one even when it is because its 25mA trip level means that the house RCD won't trip is utterly bogus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back