Boiler Change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what you old timer self employed guys charge? I'm just starting up on my own in north west england and have just got a straight combi swap. old non condensing vaillant to be replaced with worcester 37cdi, flue hole will need bricking but other than that straight forward. I thought about £350 for labour . is this about right?

Sponsored Links
I would have thought around £650 - £700 + VAT for me plus all materials and parts and including powerflush.

Sorry moderator8 - I'm thought that was ok- I'm not a customer asking for a quote here, I'm an engineer who will be doing the job .

Thanks gas4you. I wouldn't be doing a powerflush, just running a cleanser through the week before . Are you in the north? also I'm not VAT reg as I have no idea whether I'll earn enough yet. :) Just don't want to sell myself short or overcharge the customer really.

When you guys first started out on your own how did you work out what you should be charging?
I expect you have a daily or hourly rate and a job rate depending on the type of job?

Sponsored Links
I have a daily rate which varies slightly depending on how far I have to travel to the job.

I use my hourly rate for breakdowns and call outs, although my first hour is extra high to allow travel and van costs etc.

My first hour is charged for attending, whether I am there 10 minutes of the full hour.

Tabs, up here you should be looking at around £450 for a straight swap. This will include few materials required, copper, fittings, system cleanser, system protector,Ect ect.

Look to earn a wage, profit, overhead costs on a daily basis. It wont come all at once, a time spent building a customer base and referals is what you'll do first.

PS, put some cash to one side each week to cover them rainy days, cause they'll come :rolleyes:

PPS where abouts are you ;)

gas4you said:
I have a daily rate which varies slightly depending on how far I have to travel to the job.

I use my hourly rate for breakdowns and call outs, although my first hour is extra high to allow travel and van costs etc.

My first hour is charged for attending, whether I am there 10 minutes of the full hour.

Thanks for your reply. I hadn't considered how to approach charging for different job types.

clf-gas said:
Tabs, up here you should be looking at around £450 for a straight swap. This will include few materials required, copper, fittings, system cleanser, system protector,Ect ect.

Look to earn a wage, profit, overhead costs on a daily basis. It wont come all at once, a time spent building a customer base and referals is what you'll do first.

PS, put some cash to one side each week to cover them rainy days, cause they'll come :rolleyes:

PPS where abouts are you ;)

Thanks clf-gas, I appreciate it. I'm on the west lancs/gm border. I need to find out what I should be charging for daily and hourly rates here now. If either of you could pm me ( can we do that on this board?) I'd be grateful.

In the USA a Master plumber who installs a boiler would have to know the following BEFORE giving a price

1- BTU input

2- The cost of doing business, insurance, rent,phone ,office staff, payroll, over head and profit

3- The materials required for the job and any permits required.

Is this boiler 100,000 BTU input or 4,000,000 BTU input.

The boiler was a worcester 37kw cdi - done it now , nice easy straightforward job.

Don't why the rating of the boiler should affect your price in the US though?

Aint this price fixing?

are we setting up a cartel?

are we to be the next OPEC? or BA and Virgin?

maybe we should be know as PINOMM (plumbers that need more money)

:)

tabs said:
The boiler was a worcester 37kw cdi - done it now , nice easy straightforward job.

I guess a car with 200 horse power and one having 460 HP is the same price mate ONE Boiler fits all applications ..

Put it this way if the boiler is 1,000,000 BTU in put you need 3 blokes to install it IF the boiler is 30,000 BTU in put I hire a 9 year old child to carry it in and set it in place

I would also imagine EVEN in your country that the larger the boiler in put the more gas volume needed or larger electrical power supply

See the education you just received

Sylvan Tieger said:
tabs said:

IF the boiler is 30,000 BTU in put I hire a 9 year old child to carry it in and set it in place

we scrapped child labour in the last century. Such a civilised society you live in :rolleyes:

tabs said:

I guess a car with 200 horse power and one having 460 HP is the same price mate ONE Boiler fits all applications ..

See the education you just received

the boiler being discussed is a combination boiler and it's modulating so sizing the boiler isnt as critical as you seem to think. the 37kw is there so it can heat the instant hot water side of the boiler, the central heating side which probably won't need even half of that modulates to what it needs at the time.

Sponsored Links
Back