Boiler left unsafe and leaking fumes after service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawyering 101 - learn the difference between 'must' and 'should'
Can I reply without you threatening to ban me again ?

MOD: Please desist from goading other users of the forum. lemon_1 is not a moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Should

v. a choice to act or not, or a promise of a possibility, as distinguished from "shall," which makes it imperative. 2) in statutes, and sometimes in contracts, the word "should" must be read in context to determine if it means an act is optional or mandatory, for it may be an imperative. The same careful analysis must be made of the word "shall." Non-lawyers tend to see the word "should" and think they have a choice or are excused from complying with some statutory provision or regulation.

In this context, it is accepted that, "should" is taken as "must". I may be wrong, but I dont think "must" appears anywhere

I'd just like to give a big thumbs Up to the mod's.. its not an easy gig and you guys quietly and fairly go about your business with little appreciation. Excellent work guys... (y)

MOD: Hmmm.

Sponsored Links
Also... MASSIVE difference between the words 'shall' and 'should'

Imagine if the fairy pricess said 'you should go to the ball'
Instead of 'you shall go to the ball'

Cinderella would still be scrubbing floors

Mistakes and c*** ups will always happen . That's why there is an insurance industry.

You do know that 99% of the stuff coming out that test point is water vapour?
Also very little danger of CO poisoning unless the boiler wasn’t burning correctly.
The guy might have been disturbed by a phone call or the customer asking him something and just plain forgot to put the cap back on.
It is one of the last checks I do and I have caught it on my final checks a couple of times sitting exactly like that.

Well I service my boiler annually.. I just follow the MI's

I installed it about 3.5 years ago. it only had a two year warranty (which was obviously void because it was a DIY jobbie)

The only thing that I've been a bit naughty on is never had it Fga'd. o_O

I think this time I'll get a rgi out to Fga it (then I'll clean up his mess afterwards :sneaky:)

Mistakes and c*** ups will always happen . That's why there is an insurance industry.
and why there are Accident and Emergency Departments,
Insurers can replace items. They cannot restore life.

You do know that 99% of the stuff coming out that test point is water vapour?
If that is true then (a) the boiler is not condensing and (b) the gas being burnt is more pure hydrogen fuel than hydrocarbon fuel

Also very little danger of CO poisoning unless the boiler wasn’t burning correctly.
CO is retained in the red blood cells rendering them useless, very low percentages of CO will be fatal if the exposure is long enough that 60% (?) of the red blood cells are affected.

And if, as you seem to be implying, a 10mm diameter hole in a flue pipe is so harmless then why is there so nuch fuss made about inspecting flues for leaky joints or damage,

and why there are Accident and Emergency Departments,
Insurers can replace items. They cannot restore life.

If that is true then (a) the boiler is not condensing and (b) the gas being burnt is more pure hydrogen fuel than hydrocarbon fuel

CO is retained in the red blood cells rendering them useless, very low percentages of CO will be fatal if the exposure is long enough that 60% (?) of the red blood cells are affected.

And if, as you seem to be implying, a 10mm diameter hole in a flue pipe is so harmless then why is there so nuch fuss made about inspecting flues for leaky joints or damage,
You are full of complete pish :sleep:

In this context, it is accepted that, "should" is taken as "must". I may be wrong, but I dont think "must" appears anywhere
I think you are wrong

Should does actually mean should.
Shall actually means shall.

It may look like I'm taking the Michael but this is where this debate seems to have evolved i.e. a word means something completely different to what it actually means; come on get a grip!

Also... MASSIVE difference between the words 'shall' and 'should'

Imagine if the fairy pricess said 'you should go to the ball'
Instead of 'you shall go to the ball'

Cinderella would still be scrubbing floors
Wtf is a pricess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back