Border on the Island of Ireland

There are nearly 300 public roads intersecting the Irish border, that figure could be doubled if you count private roads. There are homes and farms that actually sit astride the border itself.
During the 'troubles' roadblocks were set up on all the main routes, concrete blocks were put on lesser roads, but there were dozens and dozens of back lanes so the border was completely porous as it had been since the 1920's, and will remain so despite the posturing of the EU and Leo Varadkar.

So you are now advocating for weak borders. RWR should make their minds up. First the borders are porous and we need them to be harder to get through and now you want them to be easier to circumvent.

Is it any wonder why quitters still have no coherent argument. Cognitive dissonance overload.

Sponsored Links
So you are now advocating for weak borders. RWR should make their minds up. First the borders are porous and we need them to be harder to get through and now you want them to be easier to circumvent.

Is it any wonder why quitters still have no coherent argument. Cognitive dissonance overload.

We've had a soft border with Ireland and freedom of movement of people since partition in the 20's, before the EU was ever thought of, what's incoherent about that?

We've had a soft border with Ireland and freedom of movement of people since partition in the 20's, before the EU was ever thought of, what's incoherent about that?

Were we in a Single Market?

I give up. So quitters who want control of our borders don't want control of our borders.

Sponsored Links
All plans have by their nature are compromises, so I am going to put my Remainer hat to the side and try and be impartial.

So only the positives, I think we have gone through enough negative points.

Isis are coming from the East. Ireland is to the west.

Do you know geography?

Depends who they are

The foreign travellers are on there anual pilgrimage in this area ,2 parks have now become caravan sites

Plod having to respond to all the hassle they are causing

Garages are having to get payment before they fill up there cars

Kids sent into shops for shop lifting purposes

Total disgrace this mob come from an eastern EU country ;)

So no freedom of movement for these scum bags no

Let me check this.

Do Brexers want free movement of people, from the EU, into the UK?

Easy question.

Let's see if Bodge can answer it

There's always been free movement of people between Ireland and the UK, it's known as the CTA, common travel area, that aint going away, and I'm happy with that. I would expect Nationals without Irish citizenship would not be party to the same rights.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/...n_travel_area_between_ireland_and_the_uk.html

The Common Travel Area (CTA) is the commonly used term for a variety of rights which can be exercised by citizens of Ireland and the United Kingdom (UK). It includes more than the basic right to travel freely between both countries.

When the Common Travel Area arrangement began 1922, it was not contained in any legislation. It was an understanding between Ireland and the UK based on their common history and the difficulties applying immigration controls because of the shared border. Over time, some of the rights came to be included in different pieces of legislation in both Ireland and the UK.

While the Common Travel Area is recognised under the Treaty of Amsterdam, it is not dependant on the European Union and the continuing membership of both countries.

On 8 May 2019, the Irish and UK governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding (pdf) reaffirming the Common Travel Area and identifying the rights and privileges of Irish and UK citizens within the CTA. It also reaffirms the commitment to maintain the CTA following Brexit (pdf).

The Common Travel Area does not relate to goods or customs issues. The present movement of goods, the absence of customs posts on the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, and the absence of customs duties between the UK and Ireland comes from both countries’ membership of the European Union.

John, I've highlighted a few sections to make it easier for you to understand, I know you struggle sometimes. Interesting that it was re-affirmed in May this year to ensure it still exists after Brexit.

Apology accepted.

Why would I or anyone want a border with Ireland? we've never had one before.

We never had a Border in Ireland ???
Whats this .

image.jpg

Let me check this.

Do Brexers want free movement of people, from the EU, into the UK?

Easy question.

Let's see if Bodge can answer it

Fillyboy has thrown in a heap of verbiage but doesn't want to answer the question either.

it doesn't need lots of words. One will do.

We never had a Border in Ireland ???
Whats this .

It's one of the few roads closed during the 'troubles', I'm guessing it's one of the roads 'they' didn't use to truck in the Kalashnikovs. Ireland's had an open border with UK since the 1920's, although a few 'roadblocks' existed during the troubles, there were plenty of roads that didn't haave roadblocks.

Sponsored Links
Back