Bosch v Milwaukee

are you reffering to green diy or blue trade bosch drills??

Blue trade. I'm just giving my opinion. It's not my money, so I really don't mind what other people think. They're just not for me.

Sponsored Links
Blue trade. I'm just giving my opinion. It's not my money, so I really don't mind what other people think. They're just not for me.
thats fair enough
not heard too many complaints so suspect its possibly what happens to all manufacturers where they drop the ball and the odd bad design or material choice bites them in the bum

I think Bosch did move some production to the far east ... ... ... I've purchased is Germany or Switzerland

I just looked at some of my Bosch stuff out of interest after reading that (mixture of my own and pro work stuff). I found...

18v drill driver - Made in Malaysia
18v SDS - Germany
18v torch - Romania
10.8v driver - Hungary
All the batteries - Malaysia
Chargers - China

Disappointed that only 1 is Germany, relieved that only the chargers are China.

I still swear by Bosch though, the SDS in particular has suffered years of hard punishment/'I-ought-to-go-get-the-corded' and is still going very strong.

I just looked at some of my Bosch stuff out of interest after reading that (mixture of my own and pro work stuff). I found...

18v drill driver - Made in Malaysia
18v SDS - Germany
18v torch - Romania
10.8v driver - Hungary
All the batteries - Malaysia
Chargers - China

Disappointed that only 1 is Germany, relieved that only the chargers are China.

I still swear by Bosch though, the SDS in particular has suffered years of hard punishment/'I-ought-to-go-get-the-corded' and is still going very strong.
yes bosch dewalt and many more produce where its cheapest
but as i keep saying
with the same training the same materials
the same construction the same quality control
it wont matter where its made

Sponsored Links
yes bosch dewalt and many more produce where its cheapest
but as i keep saying
with the same training the same materials
the same construction the same quality control
it wont matter where its made

Odd thing to notice, but the only Chinese Bosch that I bought was a recip saw. The plastics smell a bit funny - especially the rubber mains lead. This suggests to me that they do use different materials.

companies use different materials for different markets too. for instance BMW use different plastics for the US & European markets.

Metabo make no compromises and make their stuff in Nürtingen, Germany.

make their stuff in Nürtingen, Germany.

And China... :p:p

7babf0bff831171241a8abb2ce9d0b454d082b54.jpeg

I forget it was a while back but either way it went back.

I can hand on heart tell you I'm not making it up. I have a few Bosch drills (none of them corded) and I've had plenty of other Bosch tools corded and cordless, their cordless drills are crap.

I suspect you purchased the incorrect drill for your expectations. There are 3 ranges in the Bosch Professional drill series. The robustline drills will snap your wrist before they stop rotating.

I think they are the ones with 'VE' in the part number.

Depends what models. Makitas flagship drivers are unquestioned by many, but they'll cost bare what a lot of kits cost. I believe the TD170 is around £240.
More like £180 bare, whilst the top of the line combi (DHP481) is over £120, again bare. Both solid and reliable bits of kit in my experience - but then I'm not in the race to the bottom in terms of quality which some of the pricework lads seem to be involved in

I've known quite a few people have to send Milwaukee tools back for repair. Faulty triggers is often a cause. Completely failed electronics is another I've heard a few times
Likewise had colleagues who've gone through multiple switches under warranty. The other problem that has surfaced is ticking bearings on the combis

I suppose what I'm saying is I wouldn't buy either as far as a drill and driver goes.
Me neither

More like £180 bare, whilst the top of the line combi (DHP481) is over £120, again bare. Both solid and reliable bits of kit in my experience - but then I'm not in the race to the bottom in terms of quality which some of the pricework lads seem to be involved in

Likewise had colleagues who've gone through multiple switches under warranty. The other problem that has surfaced is ticking bearings on the combis

Me neither

I thought maybe the 170 had come down a bit but it's still £220-280 depending where you go. It's cheaper to import the newer 171 from Japan.

I'm on my second 481, some bugger nicked the first.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180207-212639.png
    Screenshot_20180207-212639.png
    388.6 KB · Views: 117
I suspect you purchased the incorrect drill for your expectations. There are 3 ranges in the Bosch Professional drill series. The robustline drills will snap your wrist before they stop rotating.

I think they are the ones with 'VE' in the part number.

You're right, that's why I sent it back and bought a Makita.

The VE means V(voltage) E(EC=Electronically Commutated), another way of saying 18V Brushless.

Granted I've not tried the new Brushless Bosch tools but they were so late bringing them to the market they weren't even in the line up last time I bought new kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right, that's why I sent it back and bought a Makita.

The VE means V(voltage) E(EC=Electronically Commutated), another way of saying 18V Brushless.

Granted I've not tried the new Brushless Bosch tools but they were so late bringing them to the market they weren't even in the line up last time I bought new kit.

Wrong. The GSB 18 VE-2-LI for example is not a tool with a brushless motor. The tools that are brushless say EC on the side, but the tool designation doesn't specify if it's brushless or not. (The GSB 18V-85 C has a brushless motor...)

Brushless motors in power tools make little practical difference, and are merely a marketing scheme to sell more tools hence why many manufacturers added them to their lineup late in the game. The main saving is weight and size, but that's it. We've had brushless motors since 1885, so if they were the preferred choice they would have been used far earlier than now. Brushed motors have way more torque at the speeds that are useful for most tools since you're only limited by saturation of the core and winding size.

brushless are more powerful more efficient
the limiting factor up until now has been the strength off the magnet to push against but now with neodinium magnets you can have a more powerful small motor
i have both a 10.8v bosch 3" angle grinder and a router both would be impossible without the extra power

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back