Advice on which tool(s) to buy...

Amazon are doing the Ryobi drill / drill driver set with two Li-ion batteries for 129.99.

In the older range the bare drill used to have more torque than the one in the set (they were slightly different models), not sure about the newer range, but you get the a lot more for your cash when you buy the set.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
Just checked the Amazon deal it's a combi drill and a drill driver. Without sounding thick, can't the combi drill do what the drill driver and more? Also it only comes with NiCd batteries.

I've been researching all weekend and need to buy something before I drive myself mad!!

I've had a look at some Ryobi kit and come across a CDI1803M combi drill, BID1821M impact driver, 2 x 1.4 Lithium batteries and charger for £224 delivered. And it comes with 2 year warranty for domestic use.

How does that sound?

Your right in the sense that the combi can do more and better than the driver but the main differences is that the driver is a decent bit lighter and physically a bit smaller which is useful for more delicate screwing and pilot drilling etc.

But frankly there is not that big a difference to justify having the driver as well.

The combination of impact driver and combi drill makes much more sense, but I personally think the 3-speed combi you mentioned becomes redundant if you have the impact driver as whilst it has more guts than the 2 speed CDI-1802 it main advantage is the extra torque for driving which is irrelevant when you have the impact driver.

I would buy the 1802 and impact driver with lithium ions and save the extra you'd spend on the 1803 to buy a cheap mains drill for when you need the extra guts.

hmmm gets even more confusing now i bet.

How many screws are you going to screw with a power driver? If it is for hinges and door handles, you might prefer to do it with a hand screwdriver. You don't want the power tool to slip and scratch you new hinges or the freshly painted door. I find it useful for screwing floorboards, garden fence parts, decking boards but if it is couple of screws only, I wouldn't bother.

Have a look at this

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37842/Power-Tools/Kits/Ryobi-18V-Mega-Deal-8-Piece-Kit

As for the bateries, 2 Ni-Cd are normally more than enaugh for a day work and you can charge them during the night.

Sponsored Links
well theres your answer buy the kit suggested by vv2806 e bay the bits you dont want and finnish up with 3tools 2 batteries and charger for about a ton :D :D ;)

i definatly think having both a hammer drill and drill driver are worth having if you have a lots to go through it can save hours over a couple off weeks saving changing bits in your driver
would also suggest another battery if you plan on a busy diy program so you have one on charge and you can still use 2 tools

if you look at a li-ion as a third battery just make sure the set you buy comes with a li-ion charger

Well, I thought I'd update this thread since I got some useful help from here.

After considering the Ryobi kit and my budget, I decided I wanted to spend a little extra and get something more 'pro' even though I'm not. :LOL:

I compared the Milwaukee HD18PD and C18ID with the Makita BHP451 and BTD140. After seeing/handling the tools and speaking to couple of people in the trade, I decided to go with the Milwaukee. I've done a few jobs over the last week and I'm very pleased, well worth the money and build quality seems very good.

Now, I'm off to go and find things I can fix with my new tools. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back