Advice on which tool(s) to buy...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm about to embark on my first proper cordless drill/impact driver kit purchase for home DIY. It'll be for things like putting up shelves/pictures/lights, fitting new doors/hinges/locks etc. I'll be drilling into concrete, brick and wood although mainly it will just be the latter two. I have a budget of £200-250 although I'd like to spend as less as possible.

The two kits I've seen are from Bosch and Milwaukee. I chose these brands because of the 3 year warranty but I'd also consider Makita if within budget.

Bosch 18v Kit
Milwaukee 18v Kit

Does anyone have any experience of the kit mentioned or could recommend me something else within budget?

Or am I spending too much for casual home DIY? Would I be better off with something like this instead?

I'm sort of new to this so please excuse my ignorance if I ask a silly question.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Just to add, I could substitute the cordless drill for an SDS like the Bosch GBH 2-26 DFR and buy an impact driver separately for light drilling and screwdriving. What do you think?

you are spending way too much for casual home DIY. There is only one brand for you.... wait for it... No Big Al so here goes... Ryobi.

Get the 18v one+ system and you can have an impact driver and combi for about a ton if you shop around. For light masonry drilling you can get away with hammer or fork out for a corded SDS. Doesn't have to be anything fancy a shed branded SDS will do you fine.

I have quite a few from the Ryobi +One range. The tools are good and last well, but I find the batteries don't seem to last that long by comparison

I rotate between three, and I am only using for DIY at home, and I've noticed they don't seem to be holding a charge as once they did.

I always fully discharge the batteries before re-charging.

I've got the older batteries, maybe the newer Li ion ones will last longer.

Cheers

G

Sponsored Links
yep definatly ryobi one+
http://ryobi-oneplus.co.uk/index/flash/p/12

when a new battery is only around £25 i dont think longevity is too important

nicads by there nature have a built in discharge so after 2 to 10 weeks the batteries will be flat without any use

li-ion are great in the respect you can top up charge them any time
you can part charge as well which means 3x 2.4ah li-ions will easily replace 6 or 7 1.7ah nicads

i have 15 to 20 tools from the one+ range and have no complaints

you are spending way too much for casual home DIY. There is only one brand for you.... wait for it... No Big Al so here goes... Ryobi.

Get the 18v one+ system and you can have an impact driver and combi for about a ton if you shop around. For light masonry drilling you can get away with hammer or fork out for a corded SDS. Doesn't have to be anything fancy a shed branded SDS will do you fine.

Do you have a link to where I can get it for under £100?

if you have the money the im afraid to say its got to be bosch ;) to the others

I'm prepared to spend more if it means better realibility and performance.

I've read good things about the Bosch 10.8v range, I can get the drill driver and impact driver for £160 and pick up a Bosch GBH 2-18RE for £90 so £250 all in. That would cover drilling into concrete/masonary/wood and a driver for screwing (assuming 10.8v would be powerful enough). :LOL:

What should I do? :?:

not impressed with the bosch 10.8 impact it should drive twice the size off screw that the drill or drill driver can but in reality its no better

the 10.8 is an excelent range but wont touch stone brick or masonery

the ryobi will out perform the 10.8v bosch easily
the ryobi for the diy market is much better value

not impressed with the bosch 10.8 impact it should drive twice the size off screw that the drill or drill driver can but in reality its no better

the 10.8 is an excelent range but wont touch stone brick or masonery

the ryobi will out perform the 10.8v bosch easily
the ryobi for the diy market is much better value

Thanks, do you have a link to where I can buy the Ryobi kit recommended?

i saw a 2 part kit for less than a ton have been trying to find it for over 30 mins will keep trying :D

unlike big all i have no knowledge of the ryobi range,but im pretty sure he will agree,cordless aside ;) if you want a corded drill that will last you years the its got to be the bosch gbh blue range.

with the cost of the batteries in battery tools i can see the reasoning for recomendation of ryobi just for the price alone.

most of my tools are bosch but i use them every single day so i need the tools that will last.my last bosch corded drill last me over 12 years and that saw an awful lot of work and in that time it never even had a set of brushes.
maybe take a look on ebay to see if you find something of better quality but in your price range.

Go to Google, type 'ryobi' in the search bo and press 'Shopping' at the top of the screen. There are many places that offer good deals. I have a lot of tools from the One+ set. All perform very well. The drills have been used on regular bases for more than 3 years and never caused any problems.

unlike big all i have no knowledge of the ryobi range,but im pretty sure he will agree,cordless aside ;) if you want a corded drill that will last you years the its got to be the bosch gbh blue range.

being workshop based dont have any mains blue bosch
but i do have the blue 24v hammer drill 'jigsaw' circ saw and chop saw
with 14.4v impact and drill driver as well as all the 10.8v[except the tin snips]

now whilst i 100% agree about by the best you can afford
my logic is on average bosch will last for say 10 years trade use that equates to probaly 30 to 40 diy use

where as the ryobi at around half the price will last 80% as long so 25 to 35years

the above assumption assumes mains as batteries tend to last 2 to 10 years dependant on how well you look after them

and when your talking battery gear i full recomend ryobi and dewalt as they are the only manufacturers that make all tools and batteries forward and backward compatable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back