Brexit positives

I wonder why we are setting our chikdrens futures back so much.

Remaining open to significant amounts of cheap labour (Jonbey's post, other thread) is not advancing "our childrens' futures", is it though?
Race to the bottom?

Sponsored Links
Remaining open to significant amounts of cheap labour (Jonbey's post, other thread) is not advancing "our childrens' futures", is it though?
Race to the bottom?

You see less jobs as a better prospect?

There is a demand for cheap labour (I don't agree with it) but think how fruit growers for example will manage to keep your food cheap. Of course we can always import more, cheaper. How does that help?

In fairness, the NHS is, or will be, £350 million a week better off - it is struggling to fill vacancies at the moment. A good friend is a doc in Kings, London, and they are having to cancel operations every day because of a lack of nursing and support staff. If there are no nurses to attend to patients after the ops, the ops are cancelled, and beds are empty - in some cases last winter, entire wards were empty.

Of course, the Tories will say that a private system would solve this. The end result will be either that we all pay much more for the same service (private partnerships), or the NHS stops all elective surgery and turns into an A&E and cancer treatment service only, meaning all elective surgery will become private only. Unless of course, the government comes up with a plan to give the NHS more money and recruit more highly skilled staff .... but, our own education system is failing kids at the moment, so that is not going to change in a hurry ...

there I go again, remoaning again!

Look on the bright side, nobody will have to cope with the pain of recovering from knee surgery or hip replacements or spend months getting physio to make the hands work properly again after an accident. We'll all be so much happier for it, won't we?

Sponsored Links
I would take that as a positive.

If it wasn't a lie, and actually happened. But you also have to accept the increased costs, less staff and other problems that negate the potential benefit.

Do you honestly think the nhs will end up better off after brexit ?

No, not I mediate my, I think they need to teach Health classes in schools to guide kids into NHS careers. I think the NHS spends far too much on agency staff and could save millions if it were better managed.

The £350million, i always took that as a ‘you could spend....’. Not a ‘we will spend....’

Unless of course, the government comes up with a plan to give the NHS more money and recruit more highly skilled staff .... but, our own education system is failing kids at the moment, so that is not going to change in a hurry ...

The NHS could still recruit staff from abroad after Brexit and that figure could reduce as our education system improves.

Yes, it could do, but the trick is persuading people to come. Being Brits, we look on our country with rose tinted specs. It does not all look so rosy from the outside - many people no longer want to come, we have created a hostile environment. Why work in the UK when you can go to Spain, France, Italy, Germany, etc. etc. where you will get a good salary and be welcomed with open arms (just like we used to do)?

A few examples ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42653542
https://www.prima.co.uk/diet-and-health/a42405/nhs-winter-crisis-nurses/
https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/bl...u-re-a-uk-nurse-looking-to-work-in-australia/
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/skilled-workers-turned-away-as-uk-hits-visa-cap-lzb7w97hq

It's not looking good. It takes years to train a nurse, and for a nursing degree education youngsters need good GCSEs and A levels. We have a shortage and it could take 5-10 years to get back what we have lost.

It was more of a rhetorical / existential question; I already knew that a nurse needs a degree because "someone said so", so to speak.

It's not looking good. It takes years to train a nurse, and for a nursing degree education youngsters need good GCSEs and A levels. We have a shortage and it could take 5-10 years to get back what we have lost.
Have to question the wisdom of our government. Brexit vote had been done, we all get told that we will have a shortage of nurses, so the government scrap the bursaries for training nurses, midwives and radiographers and make the problem a whole lot worse.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...funding-debt-tuition-fees-costs-a8191546.html

So now these folks have to pay 9k a year to train for a job that is relatively low paid, bloody hard work and long hours. No wonder the applications have fallen.

It was more of a rhetorical / existential question; I already knew that a nurse needs a degree because "someone said so", so to speak.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were making the assumption that nurses only need to know how to make a cup of tea and apply a bandage - so many people still think that's all they do!

Sponsored Links
Back