Brexit: Summer Of Discontent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Barely half way through the first year of Brexit and already things are breaking down and the cracks are starting to show. As a result of many European workers going home last year due to Covid lockdowns and being unwilling or unable to return this year when demand is accelerating, many industries are finding real problems replacing the lost labour force.

My local council has just announced that due to a shortage of drivers they aren't going to be emptying green bins for the next 10 weeks. This may seem like a minor inconvenience, but it appears to be one small symptom of a much bigger problem which is getting noticeably worse.

It will be a big problem for an incompetent and complacent PM and government who unbelievably forced thorough a hard Brexit in the face of a pandemic raging across the world. They need to remember that when the rubbish piled up and bodies went unburied, it finished off The Labour government in the '79 Winter Of Discontent. Is history about to repeat itself?

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/bins-recycling/green-garden-waste-bin

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Barely half way through the first year of Brexit and already things are breaking down and the cracks are starting to show. As a result of many European workers going home last year due to Covid lockdowns and being unwilling or unable to return this year when demand is accelerating, many industries are finding real problems replacing the lost labour force.

My local council has just announced that due to a shortage of drivers they aren't going to be emptying green bins for the next 10 weeks. This may seem like a minor inconvenience, but it appears to be one small symptom of a much bigger problem which is getting noticeably worse.

It will be a big problem for an incompetent and complacent PM and government who unbelievably forced thorough a hard Brexit in the face of a pandemic raging across the world. They need to remember that when the rubbish piled up and bodies went unburied, it finished off The Labour government in the '79 Winter Of Discontent. Is history about to repeat itself?

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/bins-recycling/green-garden-waste-bin

your problem is you arent reading the Daily Express enough :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored Links
Brexit is shizen and its going to get shi tter. To be expected, really. A concept founded on lies and flimsy ideals and sold via dodgy news outlets to gullible gammons and flag shaggers. Building materials are skyrocketing at present and there is a shortage of labour.

F#ck me!
The same untrustworthy newspapers and journalists who conned us into brexit now have all become semi-gods by spreading the Covid religion.
From bandits to saints at the flick of a switch and all under the same governmental direction...

Perhaps you could reduce your labour costs if you’re that concerned about the end user.
It's not so much the increases but the pace of the increases. Stuff is going up weekly and it's difficult to keep track and maintain the pricing model. I absorbed 50% of the additional mat's costs on the last job, which was made worse because the job took ages due to the fact we could not find a brickie gang to help us due to labour shortages. Job prolongment meant greater mat's costs.

A year and a half ago I could predict the time it took to do large extensions or plaster a room out. Now, I have not got a clue. Shove your Brexit up you arse.

I do think a lot of it is hyped up in the press which is making things worse.

The price rises of virtually everything is frankly rediculous, but this is a mixture of both covid and brexit.

When everything shut due to covid many foreigners went home (as they did with brexit aswell) due to covid and brexit, many have decided not to return or have been unable to return.

Last edited:
Plywood has almost doubled in cost in 6 months.:(
Which has more to do with the pandemic and the global shortage of timber yet plenty are quick to blame everything on Brexit to suit their agenda.

Mottie doesn't care.
Oh, you’ve taken me off ignore I see. Great. Have a go at answering that question I asked you twice the other day that you ignored. Where are you today, King of the road? Greenock? Coastal? Crossgates? You’re a proper traveller aren’t you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back