British have had enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
If the reason is racial (not sure what you mean by "pseudo-racial") then vilification and condemnation are quite justified.

If the reason is racial (not sure what you mean by "pseudo-racial") then vilification and condemnation are quite justified.
How are you ever going to engage with people and get them to see that racism isn't the way forward unless the labeling, name calling, scorn etc stops? I've always said it that if people are ridiculed for their beliefs, beliefs of which they are perfectly entitled to, then it all shuts down and nothing ever changes. Racism is a fear and ignorance and often myths and rumours can be dispelled.

Engage and to educate is the only way imo.

Since their opinions have been arrived at in a way which does not involve truth, facts, logic, reason, etc, then it's difficult to change them by using truth, facts, logic, reason, etc.

You don't cure someone of a disease by pretending they don't have it.

Sponsored Links
If the reason is racial then vilification and condemnation are quite justified.
It is but if the reason is not racial yet the perpetrator of an act claims it is then they are not.

(not sure what you mean by "pseudo-racial")
I could have written it better:
I meant a false claim of racism to deflect any criticism but that was what the whole sentence was about so it was not appropriate.

As was the case recently; criticism of the actions of Jewish people is automatically greeted with the response that it is (the also wrongly used word) "anti-semitism".

How are you ever going to engage with people and get them to see that racism isn't the way forward unless the labeling, name calling, scorn etc stops? I've always said it that if people are ridiculed for their beliefs, beliefs of which they are perfectly entitled to, then it all shuts down and nothing ever changes. Racism is a fear and ignorance and often myths and rumours can be dispelled.

Engage and to educate is the only way.

The current problem is that the government / media have peddled the immigration card for all the problems in this country. That has meant many people have become very concerned with immigration and are quickly labelled racist because of the way they voice their concerns. This forum is a good example of that. Smug remainers for example (y)

Since their opinions have been arrived at in a way which does not involve truth, facts, logic, reason, etc, then it's difficult to change them by using truth, facts, logic, reason, etc.

You don't cure someone of a disease by pretending they don't have it.
Quite frankly that's bull.

We are always changing, look at what is acceptable now and what was acceptable in the 70's for example. People watched racism and other 'isms' as comedy on TV regularly but in today's world those would never be shown on TV, it wouldn't be acceptable and more importantly vast majority of people wouldn't even find it amusing.

People in the 1970's would have probably been appalled by the idea of gay marriage and yet today it's acceptable and celebrated. There's no longer as many sexism jokes either these days because people just don't find them as funny anymore. People have moved on with their views.

How do you think that happens? Because of education, because of communication. Truth, facts, logic, reason etc are exactly the way forward. It doesn't happen over night, often changes with generations, but it does happen and for the better.

It is but if the reason is not racial yet the perpetrator of an act claims it is then they are not.
I think I'm losing track of who the perpetrator is.

If a perpetrator expresses an opinion, or carries out or advocates an action or a policy, etc, for reasons which are not racist but they claim they are?

Quite frankly that's bull.

We are always changing, look at what is acceptable now and what was acceptable in the 70's for example. People watched racism and other 'isms' as comedy on TV regularly but in today's world those would never be shown on TV, it wouldn't be acceptable and more importantly vast majority of people wouldn't even find it amusing.

People in the 1970's would have probably been appalled by the idea of gay marriage and yet today it's acceptable and celebrated. There's no longer as many sexism jokes either these days because people just don't find them as funny anymore. People have moved on with their views.

How do you think that happens? Because of education, because of communication. Truth, facts, logic, reason etc are exactly the way forward. It doesn't happen over night but it does happen and for the better.
And these changes did not happen by pretending that the jokes were not racist, or sexist, or that attitudes to same-sex marriage were not homophobic, and so on.

I think I'm losing track of who the perpetrator is.
The one whose action was criticised who then claims the criticism is based on race.

My last sentence made clearly indicated what I meant.

As was the case recently; criticism of the actions of Jewish people is automatically greeted with the response that it is (the also wrongly used word) "anti-semitism".

There's no longer as many sexism jokes either these days because people just don't find them as funny anymore. People have moved on with their views.
There is not as many because now only some of the comedians are allowed to tell them - namely women.

It is the same with racist jokes - only black/asian comedians are allowed to tell them.

The one whose action was criticised who then claims the criticism is based on race.
Based on the race of whom?

My last sentence made clearly indicated what I meant.

That's a lot clearer than even your most recent explanation above.

I have said several times before, it is not the real difference between people that generates racism, it is the perceived difference.
Whether there are real differences is irrelevant, the perpetrator of racism perceives a difference, and that causes their bigotry!

And these changes did not happen by pretending that the jokes were not racist, or sexist, or that attitudes to same-sex marriage were not homophobic, and so on.
Nobody said anything about pretending. What good would pretending do? It's about education and communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back