Builders using my property for site access - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I live in a privately-owned semi which was the end house in a row, beside a patch of waste ground. 2 new semis are being built there, and the wall of the nearest one is only a metre and a half from my side wall (that's an issue in itself as it's blocking light from 2 windows but I've been told the plans were approved, despite my objections, so too bad). Anyway, as it's so close, the builders are using my driveway for access. The scaffolders asked could they leave some pipes briefly in my drive (only because they happened to see me) so I ok'd it for one day but all the workmen seem to think they now have carte blanche to come and go in my drive as they please. They know I don't have a car so the drive is blocked every day meaning that I have to walk over my garden to exit; I work part time so they don't know when I'll be here and it's a daily occurrence to leave for work and find 2 builders outside my front door (even at 7.30 am), or the same when I return. I am a woman on my own and it's unnerving, to say the least, not to mention the total lack of privacy (they're now at the level of my upstairs window so no escape there) and they walk past the downstairs windows many times a day. I have spoken to the owner who is reasonable and friendly but he's not often here, and I'd just like to have a meal, or some visitors, without strangers in my own property. I have lived with the stress and noise for nearly 3 years on and off, due to earlier aborted building works, and I'm the only one affected - I don't expect it to be quiet but I do think private property should mean that, and they should ask me if they need access. I feel strongly that they would not take advantage like this if I were a strapping single man! I am a reasonable, friendly person, I would just like to have my person and my property treated with respect. All suggestions welcome. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The old saying "give them an inch and they take a mile" best you tell them that your drive belongs to you and they are not to use it.

I would be inclined to write a very short letter saying that they are not permitted onto your land or to obstruct access.

Send one (recorded delivery) to the owner of the adjoining property, and one to the main contractor; and keep a few copies which you can sellotape to the windscreens of any vehicles or onto any equipment which you find.

Put a chain or other barrier across your drive with a "no admittance" sign

photograph any people or vehicles which come onto your land.

If they persist I fear you will have to engage a solicitor. So be sure to photograph the faces, registration plates and company names.

Do not engage in discussions and do not answer your door to them.

"No" is a complete sentence.

Sponsored Links
The scaffolders asked could they leave some pipes briefly in my drive (only because they happened to see me) so I ok'd it for one day but all the workmen seem to think they now have carte blanche to come and go in my drive as they please.
You may have gave them the impression that you're not bothered about it

Only my opinion but a little give and take can go far here......especially if you need any work done yourself :p
However you should make it known to the 'gaffer' that it is your land and should be respected as such - which at least means that it should be kept clear and swept up at the end of each day.
John :)

If someone was building houses in such a way that blocked light from my windows, there's no way I would make it easy for them by allowing access over my land.

Just to say I've overwhelmed that you've all taken the time and trouble to reply and the suggestions have been really helpful - I'll be trying every single one of them as the situation is really stressing me out. It's good to know that there are things I can try, and I really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Just to say I've overwhelmed that you've all taken the time and trouble to reply and the suggestions have been really helpful - I'll be trying every single one of them as the situation is really stressing me out. It's good to know that there are things I can try, and I really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Just remember, it's your property - and what you say, goes. I would stop all acess, until they realise it is not their right to come and go at will.

You need to speak to the site manager/developer/land owner. Not easy for a woman on her own, perhaps you have a relative or friend for moral support. Maybe a letter from your solicitor needs to outline your demands.

The longer the situations stays the same, they will take your reluctance to say anything as a green light to invade your property.

Sponsored Links
Back