Bull Horns Modification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,
My Mcculloch 80SX just had a U shaped handle but now i changed it for bull horns as i find it easier to control & better for my back.

The original throttle cable that went to the carb had a brass item on which was threaded & passed through a hole in the casing.
The throttle cable would pass through this item & the lead fitting on the end would locate in its hole on the carb.

You could then adjust the cable by adjusting the 2 nuts either side of the caing & ran well.

This cable on the bull horns has no such thing but only the lead fitting for the carb.

Im looking for a way to somehow fix the cable with somekind of adjustment.
I dont wish to damage the existing hole should i wish to re-fit the existing set up in the future.

Has anybody done this kind of modification & if so what did you use please to apply the adjustment.

Many Thanks.

If you need any photos then just advise.

Sponsored Links
Need something like this.

Do you know what it is called ??

Attachments

• 5197.jpg
    5197.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 60
Its a standard cable adjuster, some come with a split so you can slip it onto the cable. EBay is the pal here, you may need to make up your own cable to suit the cow horns.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks,
Ive seen this on ebay.
My question is the old one had a nut either side of the hole in the casing.
Would this item work ?
I mean it would fit over the cable on the carb side then just push into the hole or if i buy 2 i could use the nut off the second one & use it as a lock nut on this one ?

What do you think,thanks

Attachments

• 5203.jpg
    5203.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 56
That's the sort of thing you need, preferably with a split nut either side - but you may get away without it as the carb has a spring to help close the throttle.
Of course, I'm wondering if your modification would need a slightly longer cable.....over to you!

Ive ordered the adjuster,will see how i get on but might even take that silver piece off cut the outer the put the silver piece on.

Thanks

Yes, that's how it's done.
Of course its much easier with the inner cable out but I wouldn't think that's possible. The outer sheath is high carbon steel and needs either a tough pair of pliers or a thin grinding wheel to get through it.

Today the adjuster arrived and you are correct i think i do require a longer cable.
The listed item i purchased with the Horns are 80cm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283491588252

Can you advise.
If i purchase just an inner part or a cable which is longer then i can use this outer part that i have ?
Throttle lever end has a round piece of lead with the cable coming out of it sideways,so if it was your head it would be coming out of your ears.
The car end has a small slot for the cable to drop down into and a small hole which when you pull the cable a touch the piece of lead this end then pops into the hole.
This end has the coming out of the bottom so in example above it would be your neck.

Can i buy a long inner etc where i could cut off the carb end then i can adjust to suit BUT how would i then terminate that end with the lead removed etc.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A bit difficult without actually being there......!
The lead bits on the end of the inner cable are called nipples.....sometimes they are brass, sometimes (especially at the carb end) they are just bits of solid solder and when they are heated they just melt away :(
Mount the cow horns and new handle on the machine and dont alter the cable at all, connect at the machine as best you can and then you should see if the outer or the inner cable needs adjusting. Avoid cutting the inner unless you can resolder the cable as it will de-strand. A small nipple that is required here will be very difficult to fabricate so best leave it be.
The Stihl cable is likely to be pretty close.

I have fitted the horns / bars to the strimmer.
If i put the outer cable in the hole / casing from memory and as supplied photo in post 2 above the inner will be pulling on the throttle lever thus revving at 10,000 rpm etc at start up.
Do you agree ?

Looking at my photo attached you will see the end of the outer cable WHITE ARROW & the hole in the casing where i will fit the adjuster YELLOW ARROW
Should the main part of the addjust /end of the outer cable be to the right of the hole / casing ?

Attachments

• 5210.jpg
    5210.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 61
The cable adjuster, if its needed, goes on the left side of the casing i.e between the engine and the handles.
Can you connect the new cable to the machine but leave the inner wire free, so we can see what we are dealing with?

OK
Ive not used the adjuster but i think i will need to as there is nothing to stop the outer casing pass through the hole in the casing.
So ive pulled on the inner cable & with the chrome end of the outer cable on the left hand side of the aluminum casing the inner cable extends towards the carb 1/2 inch :mrgreen:

There is slack in respect of how the cable is routed so what if i cut the end of the outer cable say 3 inches ?

Then when i put it in the adjuster it wont need that chrome end on the outer cable as the adjuster has a tapered hole.Then the inner will extend through that aluminum hole in the case say 3 inches ?

Will this help

One easy bodge to prevent the outer cable passing through the aluminium casing......
Find a smallish washer and hacksaw a slot in it, which will allow the inner cable to pass through
Locate the cable and washer to the left of the casing
Nip up the washer to close the slot so it cant drop off. The outer cable will now stay put, at least temporarily.
You probably will need to shorten the outer cable a bit, so check out my post #8......its reasonably easy to cut the outer with side cutting pliers, but with the inner cable still in place makes things very difficult!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back