Bunking Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im sitting here feeling lousy with a bug and ive had to take a rare day off of work. now considering i work for myself, why do i still have that feeling like im bunking off and that i shouldnt step outside of my front door in case anyone sees me?

Sponsored Links
Just got over my last week bug, I never has a day off sick for 19 years and yet I felt guilty when I was off-sick, I don't know why though. When I went back to work, people kept questioning me where was I. The regular sickies don’t' get ask this question :!:

Im employed been in this job 4.5yrs had 1 day off.
In the last job 11 years NO DAYS OFF.
But all that happens is you are taken for granted, you dont get more pay. I suppose if I wasnt paid (as self employed arnt) I wouldnt feel guilty & would take time off.

All part of the perks in the last job i had.
Annual Contract salary inc full pay when sick, + the normal holiday pay etc.
Most of us had about 10 weeks sick off PA, spread over a year.

I was off sick for over 18 months with full pay before taking an early retirement, with a large sum of money :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
Im sitting here feeling lousy with a bug and ive had to take a rare day off of work. now considering i work for myself, why do i still have that feeling like im bunking off and that i shouldnt step outside of my front door in case anyone sees me?

Because you know deep in your heart of hearts you are a lazy work shy fop :D :D Seriously I sympathise, thee is something pretty awful going around at the 'mo, I've felt absolutely sh**e the last week, but managed to soldier on ;) Get better soon :D

cazmick said:
All part of the perks in the last job i had.
Annual Contract salary inc full pay when sick, + the normal holiday pay etc.
Most of us had about 10 weeks sick off PA, spread over a year.

I was off sick for over 18 months with full pay before taking an early retirement, with a large sum of money :LOL:

nothing to feel proud of is it :?: apologises if the last 18 months were genuine

wierd though isnt it. I only answer to myself, im 37 and yet i still feel the same as i did when i was a kid! Do you ever grow out of it??

Thermo said:
Do you ever grow out of it??

a lot of retirees still say their week is ruled according to mon-fri (earlyish nights, keeping busy with little jobs) with sat-sun being a weekend (later nights, trip to the club), and fridays still having that 'friday feel'.

so, no. i guess you will never grow out of that 'wagging-it' feeling.:cool:

I'm one of those rare people - a reliable, hard worker under 25. I had one day off sick (genuine food poisoning dodgy prawn sandwich) in 3 years of working, and I made that up on what was supposed to be my day off = no sick pay = no blotch on my record :LOL:

Thermo said:
wierd though isnt it. I only answer to myself, im 37 and yet i still feel the same as i did when i was a kid! Do you ever grow out of it??

Probably not, fortunately I never grew into it. In all my working career (20 yrs to date) I only ever been employed for 5 of those years, and they were all the most miserable.

Err, just to add the other 15 have been self employed :D Never been on the rock and roll

In 10 years of employment, I had only had 5 days off (All genuine), untill last year when I had to take 5 weeks off with a broken ankle. I hated every day of it. I was soooo bored. I couldn't be unemployed :LOL:

[quote="poshmanl:[/quote]

nothing to feel proud of is it :?: apologises if the last 18 months were genuine[/quote]

Nothing to be be proud of, maybe not, but the company insisted, if employees with contracts were not feeling well, take the time off. That was what was printed in the contract. All other personal reasons also included, such as dental treatment, optician visits, hospital appointments etc.
Make use of it and do as told. All part of the annual salary.

Yes the 18 months illness was genuine, ended up disabled and sometimes unable to walk, relying on a wheelchair and sticks.

I keep promising my family I'll have Sundays off, specially now the kids are back home from Australia BUT I can see my studio from the house and when I see people going by I'm thinking '''that's a sale I've lost'' just can't do it, I've become a greedy bread head.
I'm not a bad person, I just want a good life for my family,I give a couple of grand a year to charity, and still feel guilty.

Sponsored Links
Back