Cable Ripper/Stripper tool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone used this tool before to easily remove the insulation from cable:

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/toolsbuildingmaterials/a/cableripper.htm

Seen it used a lot on the America shows and seems such a simple and time saving tool. Not really seen them sold anywhere but would be a nice tool to have. Anyone use one or know where I could get one from? As good as the old technique with the Stanley knife is this makes light work of stripping cable!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
p2928858_x.jpg
Still the best for big stuff. But these
R296817-01.jpg
are available from RS Components

From the above site:

"Sometimes, just a few light strokes are enough."

All that talk of stripping left the author with something on his mind, obviously!

That cable ripper is designed for North American cables (Romex, Loomex etc) which are different to our cables in the UK, mainly that they have a groove running down the centre of the cable. I'm not sure they will work with UK cables.

You'll probably get one on eBay.com though.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you think doing it with a stanley knife is too slow, then just be a rough bastard and use the cheesewire method :LOL:

i use a sprung stripper from Screwfix. about £10 when i brought my second pair (wore the first one out after 10 years abuse) these cope with up to 8mm will do 10mm but thats how i broke the first pair :oops:

i always thought the cheesewire method was bad for the cable for some reason.
I thought there may be some limitations with the type of cable it can be used with, oh well never Mind. Kevindgas got a link to the one you bought from SF?

Cheers

The cheesewire method is frowned upon as it can stretch the CPC.

I've got a pair of the CK ones that came with a toolbag i bought some time ago.

Never used them, I prefer side cutters with notches for 1.5mm2 and 2.5mm2, and yes, I'm one of those rough-buggers who uses the cheesewire method and the stanly knife down the middle for 6mm2 and above. I tend to be working with singles and SWA a lot at the moment, thats a whole different ball game!

Some stin and earth (Prysimian 6mm2 Twin & Earth) has a figure of eight profile now, makes it much easier to strip, someone told me thats the way all T&E is going now.

a good professional will alwasys use his side cutters "nibble nibble" "twist pull" thats what makes a tradesman a tradesman, using your tools in your box. a stanley if applied too hard will score the insulation covering the conductors which is v bad. ;)

I never use my side cutters to strip T&E.

Using a proper cable knife is the only way you should be doing it.

I never use my side cutters to strip T&E.

Using a proper cable knife is the only way you should be doing it.

The right way is anything that strips the cable cleanly and without damage. You can score the copper with ANY method done poorly.

Mistake people make with cutters is to cut the insulation, you should score & rip it, in effect no different from most automatic wire strippers.

T+E sheaf I do by a snip lengthways then ripping it down using the L or N.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back