can anyone plumb ?

I think CORGI & other orgs & really robbers but its ok cuse its all ok with the government cuse the big orgs give them backhanders.
Opps going off the subject a little !!

Like I said iv just done the water regs with bpec & im still rather confused !

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
I don't agree with what this implies, being that a consumer who engages a non-registered plumber has reason to think that he hasn't engaged an expert who will comply with the regulations,

Would it not be a more convincing argument that by using a registered plumber you had in fact done more to ensure regulatory compliance than you would have done engaging one who wasn't? Without having knowledge of the regulations, surely the best legal defence to a contravention is by producing a certificate of compliance issued to you by the installer.

Have you found the distinction written down somewhere?
Not written down, but I come across a lot of "plumbers" who appear to have little or no knowledge of current regulations. Either that or they have no desire to do things other than the easiest way.

My personal opinion (based on personal experiences) is that some self-cert plumbers/groundworker (although not all) are more likely to breach regs than a non-registered installer as they are not having work inspected..

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
BoxBasher said:
The responsibility for compliance with the Regs is split between:
a) The Commissioner of the works
b) The End User
c) The installer

A DIY'er would be a,b+c. A householder may be a+b, their plumber would be c.
I'm not clear whether this is your opinion, or whether it's a summary of some regulations somewhere. :confused:

No person shall -

(a) install a water fitting to convey or receive water supplied by a water undertaker, or alter disconnect or use such a water fitting; or

(b) cause or permit such a water fitting to be installed, altered, disconnected or used,

in contravention of the following provisions of this part

then goes to list the usual "is likely to cause waste, misuse, undue consumption, contamination or erroneous measurement"

Installer would be likely to install.

Person requesting/paying for the work (homeowner/landlord) would cause.

Homeowner or tenant would permit

DIY'er (other than under orders from the Missus) would cause, permit and install.

Some training company and office waller are making loads of money out of us all!

dazzmos said:
errrrrr! so what does it all mean

You don't have to be registered to do any plumbing work you just have to either:

a) Make sure it complies with the regs yourself (by knowing them)
b) Make sure it complies with the regs by geting somebody regs approved to certify it as compliant. (which places all the responsibility on them)
c) Get it inspected by (or seek advice from) one of your local friendly Water Company Inspectors...

BoxBasher your making sence to me thank you .

another Question (sorry)
do you know about the special location thing ,, if i install a new bathroom or kitchen (special locations) as long as its all done by the book ,do i need to give notice , get it certified, or any thing !

dazzmos said:
BoxBasher your making sence to me thank you .

another Question (sorry)
do you know about the special location thing ,, if i install a new bathroom or kitchen (special locations) as long as its all done by the book ,do i need to give notice , get it certified, or any thing !

There are certain things within the Water Regulations that require written permission from the Water Undertaker (local water co to you and me). [Ascending spray bidets, pumps delivering flowrates greater than 12lpm, swimming pools or storage tanks over certain capacities etc] You need to submit a request in writing, to which they must respond with approval or disapproval. If they issue no reply within 10 days it is taken as given that they have granted permission.

The Water Regulations specifiy the way that things should be installed within the environment they are placed (and in relation to the fluid category risks that such environment may pose). Where things are placed, and other things you carry out (regards special locations) are governed by Building Regs and Building Control Officers (a field in which I have no proficient knowledge).

That said if you gave me my money back and the day wasted attending, I wouldn't do the water regs training again.

But then for that matter I wouldn't start on the whole corgi journey either. A lot of old hands told me not to, with hidsight they were right. Yet then (4 years ago) there wasn't a need for the energy efficiency training, or part P, there was no notification. In that days conditions (and nobody would then have dreamed how heavy the burden of regulation upon us was to become) it would have been right not to become a gas fitter. In todays conditions we who hang on are foolish those who attempt to join us are deluded.

Form what I've heard, I think that the Corgi monopoly is crippling the gas fitting industry (although I'm not a gas fitter and therefore can only comment on what I've heard, be it true or not).
I believe that they charge for Water Regs approval/notification now? Even though there is no legal requirement to notify work other than as I've mentioned above... so they are even charging RGI's for stuff that isn't within their remit to.

Was Corgi the brainchild of a famous entrepeneur called Robin C. Hunt?

Ahem, sorry for bumping an oldish post but just noticed this line...
Paul Barker said:
Now you got me thinking. The water regs training is of some value because it teaches us how to do stuff right, but not policed.

It isn't actively policed per se, but things are checked and enforced from time to time it just depends by who. Contraventions can be noted at any time (say somebody calls out the Water Co to investigate pressure or moaning about their bill).
Water Co will notice contraventions, sometimes carry out a full inspection, sometimes just issue advice/or give warning. If something is deemed to be causing a hazard or poses a risk to health (contamination) they can do a TOFO (just like Transco).
Other contraventions (such as extensions over service pipes) may only come to light in the event of a leak, which may then be pursued vigorously - either as a repair or a relay.

Things can and do come back to bite people on the a rse. Particularly self-cert jobs done wrong.

Very interesting & informed replies guys,which leads neatly to the question :

"Where can we all find copies [online] of the water regs in simple, easy to understand English" ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back