Can I charge this battery?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, most probably a stupid question, it's just that any batteries I've charged in the past have had removable plugs to let any gas(?) escape. This one doesn't seem to have any, or are those small holes for that?
And what's through the round window? It's black, does that mean it's kaput?
(I haven't switched the charger on yet).
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can.

Usually the window will be green when OK, turning red (I think) when gone
Always wear eye protection when working around/charging batteries.

Thanks Mursal,
It keeps going flat if I don't use the car for a couple of days. Not sure if there's a drain somewhere or it just needs a good charge as it's the second car and not used much.

Thanks for the advice as well. It would never occur to me to use goggles although it's blindingly obvious when you apply a little common sense - of which I have none.

If a battery is repeatedly run flat it will very soon fail. You can check that its charging OK by connecting a meter across the battery with the engine running, it should read about 14.4 volts, If that's OK connect a meter on the 'amps' range in series with the battery i.e. disconnect one battery lead and connect it to the meter and the other lead to the battery. Do this when the car has been stopped for a few minutes, anything more than about 50m/a indicates that something is drawing current and running the battery down.

If the battery has any age and it been run flat it could be at the end of its life.

Peter

Sponsored Links
You can also try charging it and then leaving it several days, disconnected, to see if it held the charge.

Thanks Peter and Alan,

I charged it yesterday (Wednesday) and will leave it until probably Saturday unless I need it before then. Once it's in, if it starts, I'll get my meter out and see if it can do what Peter suggested.

Keep the voltmeter on as you crank the car engine......if the reading falls below 10 volts, the battery is bidding farewell!
John :)

Thanks Burnerman,

I only have a very basic meter, there's no amps and it only goes up to 15 volts which it reads when the engine's running.

I got lucky anyway, after I put connected the battery on Sunday, I happened to notice one of the indicators was darker than the other, it was full (and I mean full) of water. There's a crack in the top of the housing so when it rains it fills up but can't drain out. It must have been draining the power as it's OK now.

Thank for all your advice again (as usual).

Pete.

Sponsored Links
Back