Can this be true?

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
First they said they didn't participate because "we're not in the EU."

Then they said "we didn't get the email" (but somehow managed to attend early meetings)

Then they said "communications error"

"UK missed three chances to join EU scheme to bulk-buy PPE

Exclusive: Britain did not take part in €1.5bn order for kit to protect against Covid-19 despite shortages in NHS

Daniel Boffey in Brussels and Robert Booth

Mon 13 Apr 2020 19.01 BST Last modified on Mon 13 Apr 2020 21.46 BST

Britain missed three opportunities to be part of an EU scheme to bulk-buy masks, gowns and gloves and has been absent from key talks about future purchases, the Guardian can reveal, as pressure grows on ministers to protect NHS medics and care workers on the coronavirus frontline."

Sponsored Links
"PM blames ‘email error’ for not joining EU ventilator scheme - but Matt Hancock says he got invite"

"The prime minister’s official spokesperson had originally claimed hours before the UK had ignored the EU joint procurement schemes, which allows access to the life-saving equipment more quickly and cheaply, “because we are no longer members of the EU.”

But by the end of the day Downing Street claimed there was a “communication problem” which meant they either did not see or receive the email from European Commission.

They said: “Owing to an initial communication problem, the UK did not receive an invitation in time to join in four joint procurements in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

“As the [European] Commission has confirmed, we are eligible to participate in joint procurements during the transition period, following our departure from the EU earlier this year.

“As those four initial procurement schemes had already gone out to tender we were unable to take part in these, but we will consider participating in future procurement schemes on the basis of public health requirements at the time.”"

video here:
https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/to...u-ventilator-scheme-and-coronavirus-1-6581207

John, you do know that not all EU countries joined that procurement scheme, you do know that don't you?

Sponsored Links
Not a single ventilator has been delivered.
Imagine the disappointment when you are desperate for PPE, with front line nurses dying due to the lack of it and you open a parcel hoping for PPE and you get ventilators.

All those nurses that died had access to ventilators boyo.

Last edited:
The best procurement officer cannot procure what does not exist, he or she has to wait until the items have been manufactured before they can complete the procurement process.

That's not the point.

"Hey, Bernie, there's a cold winter coming. Us neighbours are getting together to buy some heaters. Do you want to come in with us?"

"Heaters, Bernie. Don't you want some?"

"We're ordering the heaters today Bernie, how many do you want?"

"I do need some heaters, but I'm not a member of the village. I mean I didn't hear you. I mean I heard you but I was too busy watching telly and didn't respond. I wonder where I can get some heaters?"

which allows access to the life-saving equipment more quickly and cheaply,

Isn't it the point that there were not enough existing ventilators. I guess the British Government were aware of this and did not see any point in joining a group purchase scheme when the group's order could not be supplied in time.

"We're ordering the heaters today Bernie, how many do you want?"

""Well we ordered them and were told they were on back order, supplier estimates delivery will be next July""

https://euobserver.com/coronavirus/147958

They’re doing really well with their procurement, aren’t they?

"EU countries have reported shortages of ventilators, personal protective equipment and testing kits - especially in Italy, Spain, the Netherlands and France where there are very high coronavirus patient loads requiring intensive care.

However, several stories have emerged revealing that some member states have been victims of fraud when trying to increase their availability of anti-virus gear, such as tests or masks.

While the Netherlands recently discovered that 600,000 face masks imported from China were defective, Belgian media reported on Tuesday that 100,000 masks coming from Colombia were useless and even contain "animal faeces".

Additionally, Germany has lost nearly six million masks at an airport in Kenya, according to Der Spiegel magazine.

And, Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Spain have returned thousands of faulty rapid testing kits they had purchased from Chinese companies".

"Even though some countries blocked exports of medical equipment at the beginning of the crisis, the EU Commission has launched four different joint public procurements with 25 member states to tackle shortages.

The joint procurement covers masks, gloves, goggles, face-shields, surgical overalls, testing kits, laboratory equipment as well as medical ventilators and respiratory equipment.

However, the commission merely has a coordinating role, while member states purchase the goods and sign the contracts with the bidders".

So what, we need the EU to order them for us now? Get us a good discount? Get some kind of priority? Nah! We have just as much chance in this free-for-all as anyone. There just isn’t enough to go around and there’s **** all the 'mighty' EU can do about it.

Every country is having the same procurement issues, scheme or not, and yet some people just actively look for something to criticize, and desperate to point out things that could be done better with a situation that no-one has ever faced and had to deal with previously.

Perhaps those people should look at themselves with those critical eyes and think about what they see.

Sponsored Links
Back