Capping Appliances

I dont know how they can justify giving someone corgi after only 30 weeks, I think its a joke.
When I did it (not very long ago) it was all over in 4 weeks, including half a dozen appliance tickets.

Can't blame the learners for not knowing what sizes the bits are, it's the HSE who set the rules on who's "safe" and what they need to know.

I asked all sorts of dumb questions early on, and upset a load of codgers who didn't like it being pointed out that there's nothing much difficult about gas, you just need to find the information. I learned masses from forums like this one. Try Gas-news, there's a newbies section there, and join Argi, where you 'll get insulted for not knowing things as well as help!

Answer to your question is that it can be difficult to cap some appliances off without sometimes cutting into the plumbing. And you do have to be ruthless sometimes. Eg with a hob with no access to an isolator tap, and one ring going out when you turn it down instead of staying alight (ie unburnt gas escaping). That's Immediately Dangerous and you have to isolate. No access, means cap off at the meter. So they lose CH and HW - sorry, it's the law. (You do need their permission, but you can threaten Transco and the police..)

Sponsored Links
ChrisR said:
I dont know how they can justify giving someone corgi after only 30 weeks, I think its a joke.
When I did it (not very long ago) it was all over in 4 weeks, including half a dozen appliance tickets.

Can't blame the learners for not knowing what sizes the bits are, it's the HSE who set the rules on who's "safe" and what they need to know.

I asked all sorts of dumb questions early on, and upset a load of codgers who didn't like it being pointed out that there's nothing much difficult about gas, you just need to find the information. I learned masses from forums like this one. Try Gas-news, there's a newbies section there, and join Argi, where you 'll get insulted for not knowing things as well as help!

Answer to your question is that it can be difficult to cap some appliances off without sometimes cutting into the plumbing. And you do have to be ruthless sometimes. Eg with a hob with no access to an isolator tap, and one ring going out when you turn it down instead of staying alight (ie unburnt gas escaping). That's Immediately Dangerous and you have to isolate. No access, means cap off at the meter. So they lose CH and HW - sorry, it's the law. (You do need their permission, but you can threaten Transco and the police..)

At last, a sensible answer!!!!

Yeah thats what I was worried about, I didnt know if you good practise to cut into pipes to cut off things like back and wall hung hung boilers etc

Usually there's something you can take off the end of the pipe, like the gas cock, or half the gas union on an old boiler.

With gas fires where I know I'm coming back, I just turn off at the restrictor elbow and do the screw up tight - they always are tight. If someone's going to use a tool, they can reconnect anyway. Corgi wouldn't like it of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back